The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Oscar!

Well, it's almost Oscar season. Now, usually, I agree with the Oscar choices. But they've had their share of blunders. More than their fair share. So, I think I will document a few of them here.

2008: I apologize but both "Frost/Nixon" and "Milk" were far better movies than "Slumdog Millionare." I'm still shocked that "Changeling" didn't receive a nomination.

2007: As much as I love "No Country For Old Men," I have to say that P.T. Anderson's "There Will Be Blood" was the superior film.

2005: I don't think the statue should have gone to "Crash." I preferred "Good Night, and Good Luck" and "Munich." The latter being Spielberg's best film since "Schindler's List."

2002: I have close friends who will kill me for this. But, as much fun as "Chicago" was, I'd have chosen Martin Scorsese's "Gangs of New York." Or Roman Polanski's "The Pianist."

As an aside, I condemn Polanski's actions and I think he needs to rot in prison for the rest of his life. But that does not mean he isn't a brilliant filmmaker and artist. His film was magnificent.

2001: Yes, "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" was better than "A Beautiful Mind."

2000: I'll never understand how "Gladiator" even got nominated. However, as I am unfamiliar with the other nominees, I'll abstain.

1997: This was the year "Titanic" won. I would have given it to "L.A. Confidential." But, honestly, any of the other nominees would have been a better choice.

1996: When it comes to "The English Patient," I agree with Elaine Benes. I'd have given it to "Fargo."



1994: "Forrest Gump" took home the statue this year. It was up against "Pulp Fiction" and "The Shawshank Redemption." Two superior films. I'd have given it to "Pulp Fiction" but I would not be upset if "Shawshank" had won.

1990: I will never, ever forgive the Academy for giving Best Picture to that piece of shit, "Dances With Wolves." If justice existed, Kevin Costner should be a crack addict, living next to the Port Authority. "Goodfellas" should have taken the crown.

1980: While "Ordinary People" is by no means bad, many consider "Raging Bull" to be Scorsese's finest work. I am among them, it deserved Best Picture.

1979: "Apocalypse Now" lost to "Kramer vs. Kramer." I think that's all I need to say about that.

1976: I love "Rocky" as much as the next man, but I loved "Taxi Driver" and "All The President's Men" even more.

1964: Sorry Mom, but "Dr. Strangelove" is better than "My Fair Lady."

As you may notice, a lot of years are blank. Those years can be summed up with either my approval of the winners, or my ignorance of the films of that year, making it impossible for me to adequately judge.

So, I'll bring it to a close with:

1941: "How Green Was My Valley" defeated "Citizen Kane" for Best Picture. If you want proof of Hollywood politics, here it is. William Randolph Hearst did everything he could to destroy this movie, and discredit Orson Welles. The film was pulled from many theaters, prints were destroyed. Hearst even tried to have the very film destroyed. But, where are we today? No one talks about "How Green Was My Valley" but everybody knows "Citizen Kane" and the story behind the film.

I think Orson Welles had the last laugh here.

No comments:

Post a Comment