The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Avatar

So, I was supplied with a copy of this turd, and I watched it. That turd immediately was sent to my recycling bin.

I am sure some will say I went in with a chip on my shoulder about it, and that I didn't see it as it was meant to be seen. I have seen a lot of movies I was pre-disposed to hate, and wound up being pleasantly surprised. Yes, a bootleg is not the ideal way to watch this, but considering that this is an Oscar contender, the story should still hold up. It doesn't. There is no story to speak of.

What we have here is manipulative tripe that resorted to every cheap trick in the book, and the whole thing rang hollow. To make matters worse, it would never end. It just kept on going, and going, and going, and going. If it was a good movie, the length wouldn't have been a problem. I love when a great movie is long and gives me so much more to savor.

How the hell did this thing become the number one blockbuster of all time? How?

Cameron has discovered the formula for successful movies. Make the audience believe they are thinking without actually making them think. If you fool people into believing they're thinking, they'll love you. If you actually make them think, they'll hate you.

I have my fingers crossed that the Academy will do the right thing and not give this the big gold statue.

3 comments:

  1. How ironic I just picked up Avatar today as well, "Avatar, Book 3: Fire" that is. I think I got the better deal by far. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be very interested to hear about the movies you went into expecting to hate, but ended up enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah.

    Ha.

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    Oh wow. :D

    ReplyDelete