The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Still no interest...

I'm sorry, but I have not seen "Avatar" and I have no desire to see it. As juvenile as it sounds, I've reached a point where I take pride in having not seen it. This hasn't happened since "Titanic," ironically enough. I can't really afford to get to the movies these days, so when I do it's got to be something I am sure will be worth my while.

First of all, all the comparisons are to "Dances With Wolves." A movie I despised.

Second, this 3D thing sounds awfully stupid, and I've been told, "if you see it, see the 3D" which to me is code for "this movie has nothing going for it outside the special effects."

Third, everyone and everyone raving about it has killed my interest completely. Just like "Titanic."

Maybe I'll see "Avatar" when it's out on Blu-ray. I'll watch it in 2D and see if it actually has a story.

Now, there is a movie coming up that I really want to see. Martin Scorsese's "Shutter Island" is coming out on February 19th. I cannot wait to see it. As far as I'm concerned, Martin Scorsese is the Pope of Hollywood. Everything this man touches is solid gold. He's never made a bad movie. While he doesn't always hit homeruns with me, at worst he'll hit a double. Even a mediocre Scorsese movie is great.

So, with this coming out, why should I waste my time and money on "Avatar" when there is a sure bet coming out?



2 comments:

  1. Save your money there's nothing new in this film. It is Dances with Wolves/Pocahontas/Fern Gully in space.

    The visual effects are great, and the best part of the film, but if you're not interested in that field then it means squat. The writing is nothing that hasn’t been done before and while it’s a well put together rip-off it’s still a rip-off.

    I saw it awhile ago (in 2D and didn't miss a thing ;) ) and if you take away all the effects then people would not be raving over this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I'm loath to pass judgement on a movie I haven't seen, I'd have to agree with you Greg. Of everything I've seen or read on this movie from Chester A. Bum ti Roger Ebert, I've yet to hear anything that makes this movie sound remotely interesting.

    Hell even the most glowing reviews can't find anything to say other then rave about the effects.

    ReplyDelete