The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Quentin Tarantino

What's the draw of a Tarantino movie? I get asked this a lot, especially considering how critical I am of directors like James Cameron.

I guess I can answer that for me the draw is the characters. Yeah, for the most part as people, they are not people most would want to be around in real life. But they're still great characters. The dialogue is great in all of his movies also, and I love good dialogue.

There is also always something fresh about Tarantino's films also. They don't feel like 95% of other films that are all produced from the same "How to Make a Movie" text book most of Hollywood seems to follow.

"Blood, violence, pain and suffering"... well, to be fair you find that in most other movies as well. Look at most of the movies Mel Gibson made, or Arnold Schwartzenegger. The movies they're famous for are covered in the stuff. You have your "Terminators" and your "Lethal Weapons" and your "Passion of the Christs" coming from these and other people also, which I think in many ways are a lot more brutal than anything Tarantino made. Of course, I'm not really a fan of those too, but to each their own I guess. I like some of their movies, but none of them have made my Top Ten, or even my Top Twenty while "Reservoir Dogs," and "Pulp Fiction" are all in my Top Ten. I also love "Kill Bill," and "Inglourious Basterds."

I guess also, when I look at Tarantino, I see someone like me who is a film enthusiast... I went to film school myself, and still hope to get into that business. His films are different, edgy, and feature subject matters that interest me. I always liked gangster films, samurai films and the like, and Tarantino's films speak to me. I find it refreshing that someone in Hollywood is doing their own thing instead of constantly re-hashing the same old thing. Yeah, he's paid homages, which I enjoy, but still manages to make something completely original out of it.

Let's put it this way, if I were to be a director, I'd rather follow in Quentin Tarantino's footsteps any day than follow in James Cameron, Michael Bay or George Lucas's footsteps. They may both be a lot richer, but I don't like any movie they made in the last twenty years.



No comments:

Post a Comment