The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

V

So, I finally finished watching the entire first season of "V." Let me get this out of the way, I have never seen the original miniseries, or any of its spin-offs. So I had no expectations and no frame of reference.

What is "V" about? It's about faith. What we place our faith in. True faith, misguided faith. I don't necessarily mean faith, as in faith in a high power, but that is part of it. Although faith in family, in friends, in community also are at the forefront.

I first saw the pilot on hulu the day after it originally premiered. And then, I didn't watch the rest of it until I did a twenty-four our marathon of the last eleven episodes. Why? At the time, ABC said that unless "V" killed in the ratings, there would be no further episodes after those initial four. Then the same came up with the last eight. When "V" was renewed for a second season, I figured I'd watch. In keeping with the theme of faith, I now feel I can invest in another series a little more secure that it doesn't get canceled at the drop of a hat.

Now, one of the complaints that I heard about the series was that the pacing is glacial. I'm not quite qualified to judge it, since I watched it all in one go. But I was more than satisfied with what I saw. The five sections of a novel are: introduction, rising action, complication, climax, and denouement. I think season one covered introduction quite sufficiently. Although I am wondering if they're through the rising action and into the complication yet. We'll see.

If I had to criticize one thing about the series, our leading lady and main protagonist, Erica Evans, is not all that interesting. The rest of the members of the Fifth Column are far more interesting than she is. However, Erica and the queen of the Visitors, Anna, do make natural foils for one another. Both are protective albeit very imperfect mothers (Anna to the nth degree). So I am hoping Erica comes into her own more in the second season.

However, this series also has the misfortune of featuring one of the most annoying characters ever in the form of Erica's son, Retarded Cockstain. It is impossible to last one second watching Retarded Cockstain without wanting to smack him across the head. He is a terrible son to Erica, he takes emo rebellious teen to a whole new level. Anna wants him to breed with her daughter for reasons that have yet to be revealed, but I highly doubt will make any sense. Obviously, Anna "has plans" for Retarded Cockstain, but that can only be because she read the script and knows she's the son of the protagonist. The show tries to make us feel afraid for Retarded Cockstain, which is a flaw when the audience would rather see him die a painful death.

And, just because I feel I must address this. I don't see a right-wing political agenda in this series. Anna is not an allegory for Barack Obama. Yes, the Vs have used certain buzzwords that Obama's campaign and administration have used, but what series hasn't used topical buzzwords? Especially in a science fiction series? Anna is an archetypal politician, period. She is applicable to anyone who has mastered politics. She is applicable to Obama. She is applicable to Bush. She is applicable to Clinton. She is applicable to Reagan. She is applicable to Kennedy. She is applicable to Roosevelt. She is applicable to Hitler. She is applicable to Caesar! She is applicable to any politician good enough to have people eating out of the palm of their hand by presenting herself as a savior and an agent of change. And that is something all of the names I mentioned had in common.

It's a good show. Time will tell if it's an excellent show, but I will be tuning in to the second season.

Oh, and please kill off Retarded Cockstain.

No comments:

Post a Comment