The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Boardwalk Empire

I finally watched the pilot of "Boardwalk Empire." I am very happy to say that this one lives up to the hype.

The series is set in Atlantic City, in 1920, as prohibition becomes the law of the land. Steve Buscemi plays Enoch "Nucky" Thompson (based on the historical Enoch "Nucky" Johnson), a corrupt politician who sees profit in bringing forbidden fruit to Atlantic City. And, in his eloquent words "keeping it as wet as a mermaid's twat."

The series was created by Terence Winter, who wrote about twenty episodes of "The Sopranos," including the famous "Pine Barrens" episode. And he's done his research. I was particularly delighted with an appearance by a young Al Capone, when he was just a thug before he became the most famous crook in America.

The acting was strong, the script lively, and they spent $20 million on the pilot alone. It looked and felt like 1920.

The pilot was also directed by Martin Scorsese, who is probably my favorite movie director. I have no idea if he'll be back to do more. But let's see how the series holds up without Scorsese. But, in the spirit of gambling, I am prepared to gamble with this statement:

This is the best new show of the season. I wish it a long run. HBO already renewed it for a second season, so I cannot wait to see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment