The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

2011 Academy Award Nominees

I know I am a little bit late, but here are my Oscar predictions. Now, I purposely avoided looking at anyone else's predictions. Wanted my thoughts to be fresh and uninfluenced. So, here we go.

Best Picture
Black Swan
The Fighter
Inception
The Kids Are All Right
The King's Speech
127 Hours
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
True Grit
Winter's Bone


First off, as much as I personally loved it. It's not going to be "Inception." And I know it won't be "Toy Story 3." If I had to guess, "The Social Network" will easily take this one. But "The King's Speech" may be a Best Picture surprise.

Best Actor
Javier Bardem, Biutiful
Jeff Bridges, True Grit
Jesse Eisenberg, The Social Network
Colin Firth, The King's Speech
James Franco, 127 Hours


You're going to notice a trend here, but I suspect that Colin Firth will take this one. But if not him, then Jesse Eisenberg. Javier Bardem won three years ago, and Jeff Bridges won last year, so they're out.

Best Actress
Annette Bening, The Kids Are All Right
Nicole Kidman, Rabbit Hole
Jennifer Lawrence, Winter's Bone
Natalie Portman, Black Swan
Michelle Williams, Blue Valentine


Natalie Portman is taking this one. Annette Bening might be her competition, but anyone who isn't blind, deaf and dumb can see that this is Natalie's year.

Best Supporting Actor
Christian Bale, The Fighter
John Hawkes, Winter's Bone
Jeremy Renner, The Town
Mark Ruffalo, The Kids Are All Right
Geoffrey Rush, The King's Speech


My instincts are definitely saying Geoffrey Rush. Aside from "The Social Network," it is obvious that "The King's Speech" is a favorite. Of course, Geoffrey Rush is incredible, so he'd have earned this one.

Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams, The Fighter
Helena Bonham Carter, The King's Speech
Melissa Leo, The Fighter
Hailee Steinfeld, True Grit
Jacki Weaver, Animal Kingdom


Hmm, again, for the same reasons as above, I've got to come down on the side of Helena Bonham Carter. Let's face it, she'll never be nominated for Belatrix LeStrange.

Best Director
Darren Aronofsky, Black Swan
Joel and Ethan Coen, True Grit
David Fincher, The Social Network
Tom Hooper, The King's Speech
David O. Russell, The Fighter


This is clearly David Fincher's year. And I like him a lot. I love the Coen Brothers, but this is definitely not their year. Tom Hooper might take this, but my gut tells me that Fincher is taking this.

And yes, Chris Nolan should have been nominated. I have no idea why he wasn't. I don't think he'd have won if he was nominated, but he should have gotten a nomination.

Best Original Screenplay
Another Year
The Fighter
Inception
The King's Speech
The Kids Are All Right


As much as I think "The King's Speech" is likely to take this, I also think it's just as likely that they might toss "Inception" this award to placate it.

Best Adapted Screenplay
127 Hours
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
True Grit
Winter's Bone


It definitely won't be "Toy Story 3." While "True Grit" might get it, because the Coen Brothers write great scripts, again "The Social Network" is the favorite, and I am confident will take this.

Best Animated Film
How to Train Your Dragon
The Illusionist
Toy Story 3


"Toy Story 3" has this. It's a lock. Michael Bay will win a Best Director Oscar before "Toy Story 3" loses this one.

Best Cinematography
Black Swan
Inception
The King’s Speech
The Social Network
True Grit


Oh... this is a tough one. But, my prediction is "Black Swan." It was gorgeous on the eyes.

Sound Editing
Inception
Toy Story 3
Tron: Legacy
True Grit
Unstoppable


"Inception" will take this one. Easily. In fact, and sadly, this is the one award it's guaranteed to win.

No comments:

Post a Comment