The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

How to make me quit reading comics.

For the past few days, I have been speechless about this. I mentioned this on Skype but I really had trouble verbalizing this. It just made my skin crawl. Sigh... leave it to John Byrne to have a story idea that is far more offensive than Spider-Man selling his marriage to the Devil.

John Byrne hates the Holocaust survivor origin for Magneto that Chris Claremont introduced in the early 80's. HATES IT! In the late nineties, he was going to retcon it out. In his mind, Magneto was indeed at Auschwitz... but as a Nazi guard there. And later on, Xavier would have implanted all those victim memories in him to teach him what it is like to be a victim... apparently this would have taken place during the time Magneto had been turned into a child and was being kept on Muir Island.

Bob Harris stepped in and refused to let Byrne do it... and he was going to in "X-Men The Hidden Years." Byrne still has every intention in the world of doing this if Marvel ever lets him anywhere near the character again.

You want to know how to get me to not only never buy a Marvel comic again, but throw away all the comics I already have, the above is how. This is worse than Spider-Man selling his marriage to the Devil. Infinitely worse.

1 comment:

  1. I heard about this a long while ago and really it's just one more in a long list of reasons I have zero respect for Byrnes as an artist or a human being. He's an arrogant, self-important ass-hole who's nowhere near as talented as he thinks he is. I mean this is the same man who has the gall to describe himself as "the modern Jack Kirby".

    Fortunatly Bryne's own disdain for anyone who's not John Bryne means he's unlikely to ever secure work with Marvel again, so the odds of him ever enacting this stupid retcon are exceedingly slim.

    ReplyDelete