The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Friday, March 11, 2011

Voice Comparisons...

So I discovered a website that can keep one distracted for hours and hours.

Behind the Voice Actors

My favorite section is their voice comparison section, you get to hear audio samples of every actor who ever played a certain character for a cartoon or video game, and vote on who you think was the best one.

I've voted on a few of these, and I think I'll share my votes and why I picked them.

Magneto

The Master of Magnetism is my favorite comic book character of all time, so naturally this one would interest me. Now, I think Magneto found his perfect actor in Sir Ian McKellen. He is Magneto, as far as I'm concerned. But, he never voiced Magneto in any video game or movie tie-in and wasn't an option.

Thank god for Tom Kane though. He sounds a lot like McKellen without sounding like he's doing an impression. He definitely brings the regal attitude, class, and charismatic nature of the character to life in "Wolverine and the X-Men" and I am glad they kept him around for "Marvel vs Capcom 3." As far as I'm concerned, he can voice Magneto for the rest of his life, and I get the impression Marvel is eager to let him.

Dwight Schultz also did well, but the rest just didn't cut it. Earl Boen's Magneto sounded like a typical 80's cartoon villain in "Pryde of the X-Men;" David Hemblen sounded like he was going to invite me for a spot of tea at any moment in the 90's "X-Men" cartoon, and Christopher Judge's Magneto in "X-Men Evolution" sounded more like a petty thug than the terrorist revolutionary turned statesman. And as for Tony Jay. I love Tony Jay, I miss Tony Jay. But he was tragically miscast as Magneto in "X-Men Legends."

Spider-Man

Definitely Josh Keaton. As far as I'm concerned, Josh Keaton was not just playing Spider-Man, he is Spider-Man. Just as much as Kevin Conroy is still Batman. He voiced Spidey in "The Spectacular Spider-Man" and in "Marvel vs Capcom 3." Like with Tom Kane, as far as I'm concerned, Josh can play Spidey forever. I just hope Marvel lets him. But I know everyone expected he'd get my vote, so I'll discuss my runner-up.

Quinton Flynn was pretty good in the first "Ultimate Alliance." I liked him in the role, he may not be Spidey like Josh was, but he did very well. I also have a soft spot for Ted Schwartz since he was the first Spidey I ever heard.

As for Christopher Daniel Barnes, I think he could have been a great Spider-Man, but he was under the constraints of terrible voice direction. When Jamie Thomason got a hold of him for "Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions" I heard a pretty damn good performance.

But, in the end, for me, it will always be Josh Keaton.

Dr. Doom

This was a tough one, for me it came down to Clive Revill who voiced Doom in "Marvel: Ultimate Alliance" and Simon Templeman who voiced Doom in the second season of the 90's "Fantastic Four" cartoon. Now, let me state this, I hated that 90's cartoon. I also loved "Ultimate Alliance" and I thought Revill brought a great sense of menace to the role. However, I gave Templeman my vote for bringing that sense of arrogance and such a pompous sense of arrogance to the role... the bright spot in a very lacking television series.

Wolverine

Okay, Cal Dodd pretty much laid the foundation for what Wolverine sounds like. Before that, we had a lot of really, really bad Australian accents. But, I have to say that Steve Blum perfected it. Steve has been voicing Wolverine for seven years now. First in the "X-Men Legends" video game series then in "Marvel Ultimate Alliance" then in "Wolverine and the X-Men" and so many other productions... most recently "Marvel vs Capcom 3." Marvel doesn't seem to want to let him go, and who can blame them? I'd say Steve Blum is for Wolverine what Josh Keaton is for Spider-Man and Kevin Conroy is for Batman.

Okay, that's enough for now. I'll probably be back with more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment