The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Avengers - Earth's Mightiest Heroes - Season One

You know how some shows have a mediocre start, and then turn out to be really kick-ass? That sums up "Avengers," in my opinion. I thought the minisodes were pretty weak, and even weaker when edited together into single episodes, because there was very little coherence. I wasn't a fan of the "Breakout" two-parter which felt like all flash, with little substance. It was fun to watch, but there wasn't all that much there... which is ironic considering just how much there was in there. Quantity vs quality and all that jazz.

The next few episodes chugged along, and the show picked up slightly when Captain America joined the roster. But it was only slightly. However, as the series kept on going, it just got better and better. The writers seemed to find the characters' voices, and got their groove going. The two-parter, "Gamma World" was pretty good, and I really liked the first appearance of the Masters of Evil a lot. Then came "Widow's Sting" (which aired too early) where the show really gelled for me, followed by the Kang trilogy.

The rest of the season has yet to air in America, but had aired in Australia. And this being the internet age, I was able to view them through (don't worry, I will still view the show when it airs here, or get them off iTunes). And the show really was firing on all cylinders. It was great.

I won't spoil the last seven episodes here, but I have no complaints about anything in them. This is exactly what I wanted out of an Avengers cartoon, and if season two keeps up this level of quality, I think it could easily eclipse "Justice League" in quality (that show had a rough beginning too, keep in mind). And it's easily the second greatest Marvel animated series ever, a close second to "The Spectacular Spider-Man," with "Wolverine and the X-Men" as a distant third.

Also, the last few episodes left me really pumped for the "Thor" film that should be out in a few more weeks.

Cheers to Chris Yost, Josh Fine, Frank Paur, and all the rest. You did good.

3 comments:

  1. I have yet to see the remaining seven episodes, so thank you for not spoiling them for me!

    I look forward to your reviews - would you mind if I linked to them when they appear from my AEMH site?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually wasn't planning on reviewing them individually, but I just might write up a more in-depth season review once they all air here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd still put X-Men Evolution ahead of Wolverine and the X-Men. I just found the characters more interesting on that show, than I did in WatX. I also thought that they didn't really find the voice of Wolverine as a character, and that he came across as a little dull, despite Steve Blum's voice.

    ReplyDelete