The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Monday, June 20, 2011

The Peculiar Olympians

I would like to take a moment to plug my friend's blog, "The Lair of the Pterobat," and in particular, her series called "The Peculiar Olympians."

In her words:

“The Peculiar Olympians” is a series of blog posts about my most favourite fictional characters. They are each here for some combination of sympathy, empathy, inspiration, humour, quality, staying power, and/or significance to my relationship with fandom. These are not all the characters that I like, but they are the ones that have stood out to me the most. The list is also alphabetical and nothing more.


She got me thinking about what a list of my own, along these lines, would look like, and who would be on it. Well, here is a tentative, but probably incomplete list.

Rick Blaine (Casablanca)
Nancy Botwin (Weeds)
Michael Corleone (The Godfather)
Niles Crane (Frasier)
William "Bill the Butcher" Cutting (Gangs of New York)
Death (Sandman)
Demona (Gargoyles)
Edmund (King Lear)
Gandalf (The Lord of the Rings)
G'Kar (Babylon 5)
Charles Foster Kane (Citizen Kane)
Beatrix Kiddo (Kill Bill)
Hans Landa (Inglourious Basterds)
Jeffrey "The Dude" Lebowski (The Big Lebowski)
Loki (Marvel Comics)
Magneto (Marvel Comics)
Megatron (Beast Wars)
Londo Mollari (Babylon 5)
Lucifer Morningstar (Sandman/Lucifer)
The Monarch (The Venture Bros)
Dexter Morgan (Dexter)
Daria Morgendorffer (Daria)
Norman Osborn/The Green Goblin (Marvel Comics)
Peter Parker/Spider-Man (Marvel Comics)
Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly/Serenity)
Ellen Ripley (Alien)
John Sheridan (Babylon 5)
Tony Soprano (The Sopranos)
Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)
Spike (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
Buffy Summers (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
Tamora (Titus Andronicus)
Viola (Twelfth Night)
David Xanatos (Gargoyles)

Those are the definite members, but this is by no means complete. There are a bunch of other characters who will likely get on, we'll see. Arthur Mitchell from "Dexter" is another candidate, I hated the guy but damn did he make an impact on me.

But it is fun to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment