The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

George Lucas Strikes Back



Yes, the New York Times confirmed with LucasFilm that this is legit. I would be lying if I said I liked "Return of the Jedi" but this was one of the few genuinely powerful moments in the movie. It is also the epitome of the phrase "Show, don't tell."

The original cut told you everything Vader was feeling in spite of his inanimate mask. The music, editing, and reaction shots gave it all to you. But, it seems like George "Money Bags" Lucas decided it was too vague for the dumbest in the audience to get, and had to throw in a gigantic neon sign saying "VADER DOES NOT LIKE THIS!!!! HE'S TURNING GOOD NOW!!!!!!!!!"

Again, show don't tell.

I was on the fence about getting this release, now I'll be saving my money instead. I just want to remind you that George Lucas once spoke out against colorizing classic films. The irony should not be lost on you.

Honestly, at this point I think Lucas is just trolling. He knows the changes have not been well received, and he knows that people hated Vader's giant "NO!!!!!" in "Revenge of the Sith." I think he's actively trying to piss his fans off. He's not THAT out of touch, he can't be. At first I thought there was no way this could be real. Lucas has done some crazy shiat, but he's never gone this far. But then I remembered Vader screaming, "No!" at the end of episode 3, and keeping in mind how much of a hack Lucas is these days, it's pretty obvious that he thinks this is a clever way of connecting the two movies thematically. To him, he's probably thinking, "Oh man, adding this in is so smart. I told everybody I can still write. I know I've made some questionable decisions in the past, but there is no way that anyone can complain about this. This is just good writing."

And while I'm here, I want to plug my friend's blog post on why she's stopped watching "ThunderCats"

1 comment:

  1. I feel a relevant quote should be shown here.

    "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society." – George Lucas, 1988

    ReplyDelete