The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

An Update & Some Thoughts

1. Yes, I intend to keep reviewing "Dexter." I hope to get caught up this week. The second episode aired as a terrible head cold hit me, which left me mostly incapacitated for a week, and threw off my schedule. I haven't seen the third or fourth episode yet... but I plan to re-watch the second one, review that, and then hit the next two before continuing.

2. Yesterday was the seventeenth anniversary of the premiere of "Gargoyles." I considered doing a special review of "Awakening" but I figured I covered it well in my Top 11 list. Not to say I won't eventually do it, but I had nothing new to say. Maybe in 2014... or sooner. Who knows. But I did watch part one today, and plan to watch the rest over the course of the week. October 24th on a Monday, when was the last time that happened?

3. I am dying to see David Fincher's "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo." Normally I shy away from American remakes of foreign films, but this is David Fincher.



If the movie is as good as the trailer, this might be the film of the year. We shall see.

4. My dear friend, the ever charming and beautiful, Jennifer L. Anderson, recently raved about "The Dresden Files" series of novels to me. And, I think she sold me on it. It certainly deals with elements and ideas that interest me, and I like the sense of humor she gave me a sample of. I'm not sure when I'll get around to reading it, but it's on my list.

5. I've been re-reading "The Clone Saga." Some parts of it are terrific, a lot of it is crap. I think it's obvious which aspects are which... I might be reviewing it soon. We'll see, but I'm thinking about it.

6. I am now the official "Young Justice" reviewer for World's Finest over at ToonZone. James Harvey liked my approach, as someone who knows jack about the DC universe and mythos. And it's true, I google characters constantly when episodes end.

7. There are rumors that Disney is planning to release the rest of "Gargoyles" on DVD in 2012. They originated from a very unlikely source, but other people are reportedly receiving word from Disney that this is in the works. I'm still waiting to hear back from a source myself. I wrote to and e-mailed one department, but considering the way these things work, it might not be on the official list yet. It certainly hasn't been announced yet. Personally, after all this time... I'll believe it when I see it. However, I've supported the property this long, I am eagerly hoping to be wrong.

8. I love Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwich. It's the perfect fast food lunch.

9. New York Comic Con was a blast. I had short but pleasant discussions with Peter David, Lauren Sankovitch, Steve Wacker, got beat up by SHIELD agents, worshiped Lady Loki, got into the Avengers movie panel, and hung out with the Nostalgia Chick and Todd In the Shadows for a bit.

10. I posted it in an earlier entry, but I am encouraging people to commission Karine Charlebois for any nerdy or geeky artwork you want. She is a professional comic book artist and storyboard artist, and is as pleasant as she is talented. She drew #5 of "Gargoyles" and most of "Gargoyles: Bad Guys" for SLG. And again, take a look at what she did for me. I've been showing this piece off a lot, but I am very happy with it. I hope to commission her again some time.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to your "Young Justice" ToonZone reviews in the future; being the obsessed, cameo-fanatic DC fanboy that I am, it helps to get another perspective on the episodes as they air. I don't always agree with your positions on certain characters (but hey, we've played the Superman/Lex Luthor track a fair few times now), but they're always heavily entertaining.

    ...Plus, it's always nice to hear from another reviewer who's not a "They Changed It, Now It Sucks" moronic jackass about things like Spiner's Joker or the fact that Clark Kent is acting logically and understandably. XD

    Also looking forward to your thoughts on the Clone Saga, out of a desire for a laugh if nothing else. I'll admit, I know little in-depth about it beyond what I've gathered from Linkara's reviews, but purely from an analytical perspective it's a fascinating trainwreck.

    Still need to tell us the story behind the SHIELD incident, LOL. Did you try to chauffeur Nick Fury or something? :P

    Finally, sorry to hear 'bout the head cold. Hope you're feeling better now that the excitement's died down a bit.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete