The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Monday, December 26, 2011

Looking Ahead

I don't make it to the theater as much as I would like, but here is a tentative list of what I refuse to miss.

"The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"


I actually wanted to see this one yesterday, much more than I wanted to see "Sherlock Holmes." But my brother had to work the next day, Holmes was shorter and playing at an earlier hour. Needless to say, we regretted our choice.

But I love David Fincher, and I suspect there will be a trip to the theater soon to this one. I am sure it will easily wash me clean of the foulness that was Sherlock.

"The Avengers"


I'm a Marvel Zombie, always have been. I can't not see this one. And after five movies of build up, I am confident that if anyone can deliver, it's Joss Whedon. Six of Marvel's best heroes up against one of my favorite villains has me giddy to see this. Loki was the best villain of the Marvel Studios' films so far, and he is looking even more vicious this time.

"The Dark Knight Rises"


Do I really have to explain it?

"Prometheus"


I will admit, I have reservations here. Ridley Scott has not made a good movie in a long time, and his return to this well strikes me as a little desperate. But "Alien" was my favorite of the Alien Duology (they only made two movies), and I am interested in seeing what he does here.

"The Hobbit"


This is, for me, the big one. The movie I am looking forward to most in 2012. I've waited for so long for the rights to untangle and for this to be made, I almost can't believe it is happening. I loved the trailer, and have been following the production, and wishing I was down in New Zealand getting Sir Ian McKellan his coffee.

I think "The Hobbit" will be the biggest movie of the year, the only real contender to that being "The Dark Knight Rises." But since both are Warner Bros. productions, I am sure they're quite happy.

"Lincoln"


Directed by Stephen Spielberg, and when Spielberg makes movies for grown ups, they're always good.
Starring Daniel Day-Lewis. What more needs to be said?

"Abraham" Lincoln Vampire Hunter" is also coming out, and that could be fun. We'll see.

"Killing Bin Laden"


Another war movie directed by Kathryn Bigelow. And this time it will be a dramatization of the death of Osama bin Laden. If nothing else, it will be the most cathartic movie in recent history.

No comments:

Post a Comment