The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Monday, January 2, 2012

2011 Movies



I did not get to the movies as often as I would have liked to this year. But I thought I would muse on what I did see, and give overall grades since with the passing of time, I was able to reflect on them.

Black Swan


This movie was and remains magnificent. I know it didn't come out in 2011, but I didn't see it before 2011, so I'm counting it here.

It was an A+ movie when I first saw it, and it still is.

The King's Speech


Same as Black Swan, I didn't see it before 2011. Yes, it is very good. But it certainly didn't deserve last year's award for Best Picture. That was "Black Swan." But, "Speech" was the safe bet as opposed to the dark, disturbing "Black Swan." Still, I give it an A-

Thor


It was a very fun movie when I first saw it, and it still is a very fun movie. Chris Hemsworth was great. Tom Hiddleston was great, and it left me pumped for "The Avengers." Ultimately, as much as I enjoyed it, I didn't care for Natalie Portman as Jane Foster, and subsequent re-watches make that particular plot even worse. It's not enough to ruin the movie for me, but overall, I give it a B+

X-Men First Class


I expected this to suck. We all expected it to suck. But it didn't. If anything, it was the pleasant surprise of the year. I liked the script, I liked most of the casting, and I thought our two leads were great, especially Michael Fassbender as Magneto. Kevin Bacon was having a great time as Sebastian Shaw. But I didn't care for January Jones as Emma Frost. Overall, I give this one an A-

Transformers: Dark of the Moon


It's more of the same. A Transformers movie directed by Michael Bay. We all know what these are by now. F. Fail!

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part Two


This movie had to deliver. Ten years after the first movie hit theaters, a lot was riding on this. Deliver it did. Very well done, the cast was great. The effects were great. It was great. I give it a solid A.

Captain America: The First Avenger


This one took time to grow on me. The first time I watched it, I did not have a good time. Honestly, I think it was the 3D and the horrible audience I saw it with. But time and subsequent viewings have gotten a change of heart from me. I've since seen it for a fourth time, and it's really grown on me. My initial grade was a C- but now, I give it a B+. It's not without problems, but it's grown on me.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows


My review is barely a week old. Still, this one is an F. Hell, I think I'll go out and give it an F- just for being worse than Michael Bay's flaming sack of dog crap.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo


Best film I saw all year. A+! A+! A+! But I suspect it will suffer the fate of "Black Swan." It will be nominated for the big prize, and cast aside for the safe choice. I just wish it was making more money than it is. But, when you market it as "The Feel Bad Movie of Christmas," I suppose that is to be expected. Still.... A+

Now that it's 2012, I plan on seeing even more movies. I have high hopes for 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment