The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Five Questions

1. Greatest Movie You've Ever Seen


Easily "Casablanca." I know it's a cliche to say this, but that doesn't make it any less true.

2. Worst Movie You've Ever Seen


"Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen." Words cannot describe the loathing I feel towards this abomination of a movie.

3. Favorite Movie Trilogy


"The Lord of the Rings." Particularly, the Extended Edition. I recently re-watched it all on Blu-ray, and it's still thrilling. Maybe a retrospective review is in order.

4. Most Overrated Movie You've Ever Seen


The "Star Wars Trilogy." To this day I don't understand the pandemonium. I just don't. The first one is okay. Flawed, fun, but nothing special at all. "The Empire Strikes Back" is easily the best one, and I like it, it's good. But it's hardly great cinema. "Return of the Jedi" was terrible, and the prequels are among the worst movies ever made.

5. Favorite filmmakers of all time


Oh, this one is tough. I'd love to say Francis Ford Coppola for the first two "Godfather" movies and "Apocalypse Now" but the rest of his filmmography doesn't do it for me.
Martin Scorsese is an easy favorite, I think.
I also like David Fincher and Christopher Nolan a lot.
Akira Kurosawa is a no-brainer.
Quentin Tarantino may not be for everyone, but his films are definitely for me.
Roman Polanski is a gifted artist, but a terrible person.
I love Steven Spielberg when he makes movies for grown ups, but hate crap like "E.T." and "Jurassic Park."
I've attended Federico Fellini film festivals and always enjoyed them.
Alfred Hitchcock is truly the master.
Krzysztof Kieslowski, especially for "The Decalogue." But that's really more of a "film cycle" than a film itself.

6 comments:

  1. Have you seen The Conversation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Greatest Movie You've Ever Seen

    Ed Wood

    2. Worst Movie You've Ever Seen

    I wanted to walk out of Constantine. In fact, I only saw it because I had a fight with my parents and went to the movies after storming out of the house. It was either that or Robots or Man of the House with Tommy Lee Jones.

    3. Favorite Movie Trilogy


    Lord of the Rings, but the Dark Knight Rises may give me a new trilogy.


    4. Most Overrated Movie You've Ever Seen

    Anatomy of a Murder. It broke a lot of ground using words like "panties", "sperm" and "rape", but in some ways the filmmakers held back from being too bold and had some comic relief moments that really hurt the movie.


    5. Favorite filmmakers of all time

    James Cameron, Orson Welles, Stanley Kubrick, Michael Curtiz, John Huston, Billy Wilder, Peter Weir, Sidney Lumet, and 1970s/early 1980s Ridley Scott.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Greatest Movie You've Ever Seen.

    "Greatest" is tough. But my favorite was Mister Lonely.

    2. Worst Movie You've Ever Seen

    The original Japanese version of "Pokemon: The First Movie."

    3. Favorite Movie Trilogy

    Don't really have one.

    4. Most Overrated Movie You've Ever Seen

    Might have to be Watchmen. It was a solid film, but everyone who told me it was a great adaptation probably didn't understand the comic. Still good, though.

    5. Favorite filmmakers of all time.

    Harmony Korine and Fred Vogel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Greatest Movie You've Ever Seen

    I'd be a little embarassed that I can't come up with anything better than "Casablanca" as well, except...well, it IS really that good. It's only possible competition, to me, is "Lawrence of Arabia," which comes in at a close second.

    [My FAVORITE movie of all time, though, is "The Silence of the Lambs."]

    2. Worst Movie You've Ever Seen

    Again, I'm having a lot of trouble coming up with a "better" choice than "Revenge of the Fallen" myself. Certainly, it's the worst movie I've ever had to put down money for. Some of the direct-to-video "cheapquels" pushed out by Disney in the late 90s and early 2000s are arguably worse, but I mostly just caught them on Toon Disney for free, so they don't annoy me nearly as much.

    Emmerich's "Godzilla" is another veeeeery "strong" contender, though.

    3. Favorite Movie Trilogy

    At this point, I think I'm going to go with "Toy Story." In comparison to the depth of the latter two the questions the original raises are a little weak, but overall they're still three solid films that continuously advance a set of likeable, engaging characters which can be enjoyed by audiences of all ages.

    4. Most Overrated Movie You've Ever Seen

    "Independence Day," probably. Do I really need to explain why?

    5. Favorite Filmmakers of All Time

    So many excellent directors have already been mentioned that I'm going to restrict my own answers to animation directors, since I'll be perfectly honest and note that I simply enjoy animated films more than their live-action counterparts most of the time.

    - Hayao Miyazaki
    - Isao Takahata
    - Brad Bird
    - Gary Trousdale/Kirk Wise
    - Chris Sanders

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Greatest Movie You've Ever Seen
    Can't really argue with Casablanca.

    2. Worst Movie You've Ever Seen
    An American Werewolf in Paris. Pure, unadulterated crap.

    3. Favorite Movie Trilogy
    I'm not really big on trilogies. Lord of the Rings had a few too many scenes that made me cringe, and I can't think of any others that would even justify a nomination.

    4. Most Overrated Movie You've Ever Seen
    As I was one of the two kids who didn't care to see Star Wars, and still haven't seen it, I can't comment on it. Looking through IMDB's 250, Forrest Gump seems *way* too high to me. I liked it well enough, but it is not, in any way one of the 30 greatest films of all time.

    5. Favorite Filmmakers of All Time
    I do have a certain fondness for Mel Brooks. At this hour anyway, I can't think of any others that I consistently liked.

    Spen

    ReplyDelete