The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Ultimate Spider-Man


It's not every day when I will admit I am wrong, but today is one of those days. Marvel's new "Ultimate Spider-Man" cartoon is great! It's just... perfect! The writing quality is absolutely flawless! The animation is gorgeous, and the voice acting.... I listen to Drake Bell as Spider-Man, and I ask "Josh who?"

I have never seen so much care, love and respect given to the source material before. This is a smart Peter Parker. Very smart. When the Frightful Four burst into the school cafeteria, and demand that Spider-Man step forward... the way Peter just uses his classmates to start a food fight with these dangerous supervillains while he changes into Spider-Man... genius. And it truly exemplifies "with great power comes great responsibility." And come on, who doesn't love seeing "Family Guy-esque" humor anytime, any place?

With only one episode, this show made me wonder what it was I ever saw in "Spectacular Spider-Man." We need superhero team-ups all the time! Why shouldn't Spidey have his own webslinging spider-cycle? I want one too! Hell, this show makes me wonder what I ever saw in many cartoons. "Gargoyles?" Forget about it. "Avatar the Last Airbender?" Oh, for shame. "Batman the Animated Series?" What's that? And who cares about "Legend of Korra," "Young Justice," "Avengers" or "Game of Thrones?"

"Ultimate Spider-Man!" You'll laugh! You'll cry! You'll have an orgasm! And you'll realize that silly old men like Smilin' Stan Lee, Scowlin' Steve Ditko, and Jazzy Johnny Romita really had no idea how to do Spider-Man right.

10,000 out of 10! It's perfect!

9 comments:

  1. So what did you REALLY think? Your sarcasm is hard to miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't watch it. Nor am I going to watch it. So, really, I have no opinion on it.

      Actually, after talking about it with some friends, a few weeks ago I quietly made a policy not to watch it, review it, or mention it. Based on what I've read about it, it's not my thing. At all. And yes, I have personal (as well as professional reasons) to be biased against it. I am a human being, I have biases, we all do. So I figured spare myself the aggravation either way, because anything I say about this show will come with replies pointing out said bias.

      But, when the premiere fell on April Fool's Day, I figured why not write up a mock review? It's all in good fun. This is probably the only mention it will ever get on my blog.

      Delete
  2. Never change, Greg, never change.

    I'm going to watch the first few episodes of USM to see if it surprises me with quality. I did enjoy The Batman, once it got over its season 1 hurdle, and other shows that looked terrible but did get better over time. However having watched Iron Man: Armored Adventures I can say sometimes a book can be judged by it's cover, as well as it's previews, reviews, and writers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Greg? No mention from you saying "April Fools" to all the people with "a condition" and don't get the joke? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should see the joke I almost played on the "Gargoyles" fandom. It was cruel and believable. I had to be talked out of it. ;)

      Delete
    2. Darn it Greg, now you've got me all curious about what it was going to be. Now I won't be able to sleep this week. Thanks a lot.

      Spen

      Delete
  4. Breaking Bad is better than all those shows you listed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No thanks necessary. I’m guessing you’ve probably heard a little about it already. If you ever get the chance to watch it I guarantee you won't be disappointed. It seems up your alley.

    ReplyDelete