The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Friday, May 4, 2012

The Avengers


It's taken us four years, but we finally got here. What started as a small teaser scene at the end of the credits for "Iron Man" turned into a six movie epic where it all came together into this little flick. We do owe a huge thanks to John Favreau and Robert Downey Jr though, because had "Iron Man" bombed, we would not have gotten any of this.

I thought it was excellent. It was a big "fuck you" to all the assholes who use phrases like "popcorn movie" and "turn your brain in at the door" and "it's a movie about fighting robots, what did you expect?" I'm not saying it's "The Godfather" but it was well directed, well paced, likable actors, some genuine character moments, a plot that wasn't convoluted and good dialogue, ie everything that movies like "Transformers" are not. I should not be surprised considering it was directed by Joss Whedon, a man who understands and reveres these characters, and who has a history of juggling ensemble casts.

Everyone in this movie had their moments, and no character was diminished to make another character look good. Iron Man and Captain America were the heart and soul of the flick, naturally. But Thor, Black Widow, Hulk and even Hawkeye got their moments. While Hawkeye got the shortest end of the stick, we still got enough of him to satisfy, I think. As for Hulk, I think this is the first time they got him right, and I would not mind seeing him carry another movie after this.

Tom Hiddleston's Loki was even more vicious this time, and for good reason. As Hiddleston noted in interviews, he was a lot more self possessed, and this time knew exactly what he was and what he was after, and he made deals with some pretty bad people. I won't give anything away, but people cheered during the mid credits scene.

I'm trying to keep this review spoiler free, but there is a ton in this movie to gush over. It was a great movie. Was it the best superhero movie ever made? Well, I'll need more time to reflect and I'll need to see it a couple more times, but I loved it. I have no complaints about it. I liked the other movies leading into this one, but none of them were perfect. This, no complaints, no nitpicks. As a lifelong Marvel geek, it more than satisfied me. The biggest compliment I can give it is this, ask me who my favorite character is, and my answer will be: I liked them all.

What I especially liked, and this happened by having Joss Whedon at the helm, was how unapologetic this movie was about its comic book origins. It knew what it was, where it came from, and it embraced it. So many comic book movies seem to be almost ashamed of their roots and try as hard as they can to hide them. Not this movie.

In the mean time, hey, Warner Bros! What the hell is wrong with you? You seriously need to take a good look at what these guys are doing, because your "Green Lantern" movie sucked, and won't be the catalyst to any "Justice League" movies!


3 comments:

  1. What were your favorite lines Greg?:

    Mine was Loki's, "If it's all the same to you, I'll have that drink now." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely agree that I thought this was the first time in film Hulk has been done right. I really think he stole the show. And I think it is truly incredible they were able to pull this whole thing off as well as they did. IT was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good review Greg! If you see this again, you should do a spoiler version.

    I haven't gotten to see this yet, but I'm sure I should get a chance real soon. Everybody wants to see this movie!


    And while I do enjoy "popcorn films", I hate it when fanboys use that and similar phrases to talk down to other people. So to them, I also say, "SCREW YOU"!


    Now how about those Korra and Avengers reviews? :p

    ReplyDelete