The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Earthlings


My ignorance of the DC Universe makes this one hard to review. I don't know who Adam Strange is, or Alanna. Or her father. But, after twenty-seven episodes, I think I know Superboy and Miss Martian, and this episode was mostly about them.

We learn that Superboy was the one who dumped Miss Martian. At first this surprised me, because I thought it could have gone a couple of ways. Miss Martian seems to have dropped the "Hello Megan" stuff, and I figured maybe she moved on from her little fantasy facade and decided she no longer needed a Connor. But, as the episode progressed and we saw how liberally she mind-wiped aliens, a more startling reason is being revealed. Last season, after "Image" aired, I said she became the darkest character on the Team. Well, here we are... whatever she did, it was creepy.

While Connor and M'Gann still do have some feelings for each other, I kind of hope they don't get back together. Ever. I really hope this is a case of never forgetting your first love. Changes in status quos and relationships in Greg Weisman helmed shows tend to be permanent. Goliath and Demona will never get back together, Peter and Liz will never get back together. I think the same will apply here. It was young love, and that's part of growing up.

We get to know Beast Boy a bit better, and I do enjoy his little brother relationship with M'Gann quite a bit. The flashback was sad though. I suspect these were the consequences of M'Gann refusing to cooperate with Queen Bee, the dictator retaliated and hit M'Gann where she knew it would hurt. I don't know how true this is to Beast Boy's origin in the comics, nor do I particularly care. I found it compelling.

I really love that none of the aliens magically communicate right away. This is so rare in TV, live action or animated that it's really a breath of fresh air. Okay, Miss Martian used her telepathy to fix it, but it wasn't a permanent fix, so I'm counting it. It adds a touch more realism, which is always a good thing.

Overall, I don't have much to say about this episode. It was good, I liked it. I liked the animation and the design of the alien mechs quite a bit. And the cliffhanger was such a tease. Well, a few more days until we find out what Vandal Savage had the Justice League do.

5 comments:

  1. Good review as always Greg.


    As much as I liked Miss Martian and Superboy's relationship and thought played out pretty well, if they broke up because of what this episode implied (using her powers more extremely)then yeah.....it'd be best for Connor if he moves on.


    Too bad the poor guy is obviously still feeling some baggage. This episode I think confirms that Megan and Connor broke up just a short time before Invasion started. You can tell it hurt Connor a lot inside to feel he had to leave her. But at least there's still a possibility of happiness for him. Apparently he's with Wonder Girl in the comics, so pretty soon the writers will set that up.


    As for Megan, I wonder what the nature of her relationship is with Lagoon Boy, and if it's any different than her courtship with Connor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot the best part of this ep!

    "Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beast Boy's parents are both dead in the comics, so this is playing within that...But honestly, it's better because of how it was set up. Marie Logan was someone we cared about (as the audience) whereas, she's just background in the comics.

    As for Adam Strange, as I understand it, his story is similar to John Carter of Edgar Rice Burrough's Mars series. So, having a "Martian" present, amused me as well.

    Peanut> Just because SB is with Wonder Girl in the Comics doesn't mean it will happen in Earth-16. In fact, I rather hope it doesn't. I don't hate Superman like Greg B does, but I do hate the Superman/Wonder Woman Ship with a passion. And that extends to WonderGirl/Superboy as well.

    The idea that because they are the strongest/most powerful beings on the planet they HAVE to be together because no one else is suitable for them irks me to no end. Said Ship doesn't see them as Characters, it sees them as their powers. What they are, not who they are. And THAT is just bad storytelling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "While Connor and M'Gann still do have some feelings for each other, I kind of hope they don't get back together. Ever. I really hope this is a case of never forgetting your first love. Changes in status quos and relationships in Greg Weisman helmed shows tend to be permanent. Goliath and Demona will never get back together, Peter and Liz will never get back together. I think the same will apply here. It was young love, and that's part of growing up."

    I agree. I also like the idea that IF they have to never be a couple again; than I think it would be more poetic if Conner broke up with her NOT because of her White Martian form (like she feared), but because of the real monster WITHIN (which might be the case, as this episode implied). It just seems more fitting that way IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked this episode. It was nice and focused with some good character moments. Beast Boy is now a deep and interesting character for me now, which after the Teen Titans cartoon I never thought that would happen. He's clearly after souvenirs to cling on to happy memories of life. He's also mainly in a monkey form so he, maybe even subconsciously, doesn't want to be human because being human means facing his own pain and loss.

    Now the M'Gann mind rape issue is a divisive one. Morally and ethically it's a horrible thing to do, and the fact that we won't know if what she did was permanent or temporary makes it worse. I can't wait to see this character arc come to a head.

    ReplyDelete