The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Nightmare In Red


I would be lying if I said I was looking forward to this episode. I do not like Red Hulk. I do not like anything that has Jeph Loeb's name on it. In fact, I question the taste of anyone who does like anything that Jeph Loeb's name is on. And I felt this way about Loeb long before he slithered his talentless ass into Marvel Animation. But while I still hate the Red Hulk as a concept, there was so much else in this episode that I enjoyed.

I've been wondering when the Winter Soldier would appear and now I have my answer. I was also pleasantly surprised when the Falcon showed up, and was very surprised when we found out that Doc Samson was in on all of this. So the Red Hulk, Winter Soldier, Doc Samson and the Falcon all work for Dell Rusk (who I assume is the Secretary of Defense in this universe too). Dell Rusk has got to be a scary guy if the Red Hulk fears him... and yes, I'm familiar with his story in the comics, but for the benefit of some friends of mine who are unfamiliar, I am keeping a lid on it in this review.

I was glad to see General Ross return, and he's got to be nuts when Maria Hill is the voice of reason in comparison. Although I am surprised that Wasp seems to be on a first name basis with Hill. And I was more surprised with the comic nod about Hill having heard that the Hulk was once grey.

I geeked out at seeing this version of Cap's Kooky Quartet in action, but just when you nearly forget what the overall arc is, Skrulltimate Cap shows his true colors by talking the Hulk into standing down and Banner into turning himself over to the Hulkbusters... and then there were three.

Good episode, I'm looking forward to tomorrow's.

12 comments:

  1. Hey Greg, Chris Yost said on his Twitter that there's a "familiar voice" playing Spidey. You don't suppose... ;)

    (Now watch as it turns out to be Christopher Daniel Barnes)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything would be better than Drake Bell.

      Delete
    2. If it's true about Spidey...I'm going to geek out...

      Delete
    3. Boy, do I have bad news about Spidey.

      Delete
  2. Really solid episode with a lot to love. Banner spending his time fishing, the Avengers being weakened from just about every angle, Lance Reddick voicing Falcon, and the number of threats against the Avengers just keep growing. One thing that bugged me about this episode was the Hulk using the rally cry. It's an interesting way to show how much the Hulk has changed since the beginning of the series but the whole thing came off as forced and being too cheesy for even the Hulk to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyone else think they're going to have Rusk take the role Warren Craddock had in the original Kree-Skrull War storyline? Though, of course, with some... differences?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, crap. I missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a good episode and it was nice seeing Banner again. It does make me wish for a Hulk series with this Hulk and Banner, but alas we're getting a "Hulk's extended family" cartoon instead.

    It bugs me that it's taken 33 episodes to get any advancement on "the Cube is actually a way for SHIELD to make more Gamma monsters" plot that was the driving point for Banner in Hulk vs the World. Now it's really General Ross who wants to create Gamma monsters and SHIELD are the ones stopping him? I'm going to go ahead and call this another plot they put in at the beginning to add some intrigue but they didn't have any idea where to go with it. Like the Mad Thinker.

    Anyway the mysteries set up here were pretty good and a bit true to the comics. The Red Hulk's true identity is probably the same as the comics and they used the same method to go "look see it can't possibly be him." Though adding more ongoing plots at this point, especially when the series is set to become more episodic soon, is a bit problematic.

    I can see why Loeb felt the show was getting away from the 4 movie Avengers, since Banner is now gone, Thor is in Asgard, Cap hasn't been seen since the end of last season, and Tony is sitting in his office with a tinfoil helmet on. But that doesn't excuse Loeb's direction for the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing S.H.I.E.L.D. backed off the whole "using the Cube for Gamma monsters" deal after the events of "Gamma World".

      Ross, however, was not there to personally witness the mess Samson was talking about. Not to mention he's borderline insane.

      Delete
  6. I just came to a realization while reading this. In Heroes, there was a bit where two of the main characters go to a comic book store, upon approaching the owner (played by Seth Green) Seth announces that "Don't worry, we'll still have PLENTY of Red Hulks left for you to enjoy" or something to that effect. While there is tons of Red Hulk paraphernalia in the store.

    Jeph Loeb was a producer on the show.

    This leaves an awful, awful taste in my mouth.

    Sorry I don't actually have anything to say about the episode. I just thought I'd share that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loeb did write the long haloween, which inspired the dark knight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, thread necromancy.

      Long Halloween sucks.

      Delete