The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Salvage


Yeah, it's really picking up. The first two episodes of the season were good, if a bit jolting. While the new status quo is taking a bit of time for me to get used to, between last week's episode and this one, I think we're going to be just fine.

This episode was divided between two stories; one about Superboy and Blue Beetle, and one about Red Arrow. With the former, we see that Superboy is still mad about M'Gann and La'gaan (and may I add, it sounds weird when the names are said one after the other) being a couple. To which I say, dude... you dumped her. Get over it and date Wonder Girl or something. M'Gann may have been your first love, but she won't be your only love. At the very least I hope she won't be (watch me contradict this point a few paragraphs down).

We finally learn why Blue Beetle was talking to himself, or rather what he was actually talking to. Before "Happy New Year" I knew next to nothing about Blue Beetle, but I was told what the deal with his scarab was... honestly, I wish I wasn't told. I think his armor being sentient and talking to him would have been a really cool revelation. But it didn't make the story any less fun. I liked seeing him in action and getting to know him a little.

And yay, Sportsmaster is back. In some ways, I thought he was the break out villain of the first season, so I am happy he is back and still carrying out the Light's dirty work. Although I do wonder what exactly it was he did to Ugly and Whisper. Wouldn't killing them have made the exact same point? As for who his partner is... I know nothing about DC comics, so I have no idea.

The B-plot was where the real meat of the story was for me. I liked the intervention for Red Arrow, who really does look like a mess. I liked the details in his new character design. It's not just shaggier hair and a five o'clock shadow... he looks malnourished, he's lost a lot of weight. Is the money he was stealing really to find Speedy? Or does he have a drug habit to support like in the comics? Or is it both? Right now, I'm betting on both.

And hubba hubba, Cheshire is back, and what's this... she's Red Arrow's wife? She had his baby? Cool. But what intrigues me here is when and why they got married? What were the circumstances? Cheshire doesn't strike me as the marrying type, I think there is an intriguing story here. I look forward to seeing where this all goes.

Finally, the highlight of the episode for me had to be seeing Wally and Artemis still a couple. I love the fact that they're the ones who made it work. They really took their time to get together, and got to know each other first and become friends before they became a couple. I always thought that was the best foundation to build up a relationship. Superboy and Miss Martian were a couple, but I never got the sense that they were friends too. Well, he was born practically yesterday in season one, and everything she knew she got from a corny sitcom... there just never seemed to be substance to that relationship, and I think that was by design. I'm glad Wally and Artemis got it right, and while I expect to see them back in the hero business soon, I hope they continue to make it work.

Good episode.

3 comments:

  1. Poor Greg Weisman, he's really been put through the wringer lately. Between writing, voicing, and producing this episode, his oral exam, having to put up with impatient ingrates at Ask Greg, and NOW he has to teach Beast Boy because they don't want to have a green skinned boy going to school and endure getting made fun of. ;) Hope his kids treat him well on fathers day.

    "To which I say, dude... you dumped her. Get over it and date Wonder Girl or something. M'Gann may have been your first love, but she won't be your only love. At the very least I hope she won't be (watch me contradict this point a few paragraphs down)."

    Amen, I was pretty much thinking the same thing watching it. Though him being annoyed with Blue Beetle gave him some good lines, "Tag, your it."
    "Freshmen never do the homework."
    Conner needs to learn the same lesson as Kaldur, in that there's other fish in the sea (ducks bricks being thrown).

    I have a little bit more knowledge on DC, but even I'm puzzled? What was up with Ugly & Whisper being left drooling, Conner's thinking M'gann was involved, but I'm thinking otherwise. White martians are invading?

    On Red Arrow, I like the fact that the Roy Dick, Wally, and Kaldur got to know was the clone and not the original. Makes Clone Roy feel less replaceable.

    "But what intrigues me here is when and why they got married? What were the circumstances?"

    They probably spent some weekend getting hammered in Vegas. If EVER there was a couple perfect for getting married there, it's THOSE TWO! ;) Though did she know about Roy being a clone before hitting on him in Targets? If so, she's in to some weird shit.

    They at least had a kid together in the comics, though I can't remember if they got married or not. Though Lian Harper's introduction was kind of a head scratcher for me, since the kid ended up dead at the age of 5 in the comics. So I'm not sure what the angle Greg and Brandon are going for with her.

    I'm also thinking Roy married her, for superficial reasons. Like her connections to the League of Shadows (though she doesn't seem to care).

    I'm so mad at my favorite character right now. Mostly because during my stay at college, my roommates were disgusting pigs, and the girl I dated for a year, would NEVER have agreed to move in with me.

    I love the oh so subtle scene of Artemis walking in with just a shirt on, making it apparent one of the big reasons for them moving in together was. ;)
    For some reason I'm expecting some bitchy soccer mom, Helen Lovejoy-type to whine about how Wally and Artemis living together is setting a bad example for children everywhere.

    Also loved some of the little touches like, them taking Vietnamese Lit together, her not letting him copy her paper, her Valentines Day present to him (though I'm sad we got no punchline from Wally about how that would cover him for breakfast. :p), him calling her babe (something she would've kicked his ass for during most of season one), and his line about how Roy won't let anyone in. Even though that last line would prove to not be true (more or less), it's something Artemis can definitely relate to.

    Though seeing how happy they are right now, (they have a freaking dog for crying out loud, because Artemis is NOT a cat person, or because her VA Stephanie Lemelin is a dog lover ;)) I can't help but feel that to quote Chief Wiggum, "this is going to get worse
    before it gets better." But I look forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "They at least had a kid together in the comics, though I can't remember if they got married or not. Though Lian Harper's introduction was kind of a head scratcher for me, since the kid ended up dead at the age of 5 in the comics. So I'm not sure what the angle Greg and Brandon are going for with her."

      Well she was created in 1986 and they like using things from that era. Since this isn't meant to follow exactly what happened in the comics I'm sure Greg and Brandon won't touch the craptacular story that was Cry For Justice.

      Though if they do another timeskip for season 3 I wonder what will happen to her.

      Delete
  2. Great episode though I do just want a Wally/Artemis and Roy/Cheshire show now. I really want to see more of them and I don't doubt we will but there is a larger cast and story to juggle.

    "With the former, we see that Superboy is still mad about M'Gann and La'gaan (and may I add, it sounds weird when the names are said one after the other) being a couple. To which I say, dude... you dumped her. Get over it and date Wonder Girl or something. M'Gann may have been your first love, but she won't be your only love."

    Sadly I know a few people who went through the same thing. I think seeing her every day, and seeing her with La'gaan especially, would hurt a lot. I'm surprised how well he's taking it given his season 1 anger issues. I hope he finds the right girl later but right now he seems more into brooding about it at the moment.

    I have my suspicions about who the Partner but I think that might spoil some things for you like what happened with Blue Beetle.

    "And hubba hubba, Cheshire is back, and what's this... she's Red Arrow's wife? She had his baby? Cool. But what intrigues me here is when and why they got married? What were the circumstances? Cheshire doesn't strike me as the marrying type, I think there is an intriguing story here. I look forward to seeing where this all goes."

    I do wonder if S&P had a hand in the marriage since an unwed couple with a baby is something I'd expect they'd have a problem with.

    ReplyDelete