The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Three For the Price of One - Legend of Korra



I admit, as much as I am enjoying this show, I am beginning to wonder if it would be better for me to not post any more reviews until the season is done. But, I did promise this, so I'm going to deliver. I haven't made a final decision on whether or not I will continue episode by episode reviews of Korra.

"The Voice In the Night" was a lot of fun, and showcased just how terrifying Amon can be. That scene at the climax at Aang's memorial was dark. Think about it, she is bound by Equalists, she has the crap kicked out of her, and then Amon gets in her face and threatens her. Fear is a powerful weapon and he utilizes it like a master.

Did anyone notice the flashbacks Korra has whenever she is close to Amon? She had another one in "And the Winner Is..." and Aang was fighting... somebody. We got a clearer look at him the second time. This is either Amon or someone related to Amon. I guess we'll soon find out.

And am I the only one who loved seeing Amon take the Wolfbats' bending away? Loved that.

Now let's talk about love for a moment. I may be in a minority here, but I kind of hope that Korra doesn't end up with either Mako or Bolin. They're both right for her in certain ways but wrong for her in other ways. Honestly, I don't think there is anything long term there for no matter which way it goes. "The Spirit of Competition" was the episode where all three of them acted like idiots and it just got worse and worse and worse. But, I will admit, the scene where Bolin runs away crying had me in stitches. I feel bad about that, because I think we've all been there at least once.

I loved the revelation that Tenzin and Lin used to date. I think most of us were waiting for a falling out between Toph and Aang of some kind. Nope... just exes.

Good episodes, loving this series. Let's see what happens next.

Mako and his true love.

5 comments:

  1. As far as love interests goes, I'm rooting for Korra x Asami, but that's just me. ;)

    Mako can go and become "Asian fire Batman", and Bolin can be...Bolin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.marveltvnews.com/2012/05/15/rumor-marvel-studios-insider-spills-the-bean-regarding-ultimate-spider-man-and-agents-of-s-m-a-s-h-2/

    Greg, please read this if you haven't already. This makes me want to punch Jeph in the nads more than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm probably the only one who didn't mind the trio act stupid in that episode. I quite like flawed characters, I could relate to some of their problems, and they ended up focusing their priorities for the moment. Not to mention most other shows would drag out that kind of development.

    Also, if it's becoming a chore to do Korra or Avengers reviews, then yeah, you should probably just do an end-of-season or end-of-series one, to make it easier on yourself. It should be interesting to see how Avengers will end up, post-Loeb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mind it either, I certainly wasn't criticizing it.

      As for reviews... still haven't made a decision. It's not that they're a chore, I've just been burned out a bit lately.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete