The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Two For the Price of One - Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes


Getting caught up on my reviews. These might be brief, but bear with me. Let's start with "To Steal An Ant-Man."

This has been building up for a long time now, Hank Pym has officially left the Avengers. Honestly, I was never much of a fan of the guy and I'm more than glad to see him go. Ironically he leaves on what just might be his best episode (and I saw the yellow jacket, I know it won't be his last). But for now, he's being replaced by Scott Lang.

I don't know the character of Scott Lang all that well. I've read him die in "Avengers Disassembled" and get brought back in "Avengers - Children's Crusade." And I read him during his fling with Jessica Jones in "Alias" before she broke up with him after finding out she was pregnant with Luke Cage's baby. On that note...

Luke Cage and Iron Fist guest star in this episode, and it was beyond sweet to see them properly translated to animation, unlike those horrid abortions in that other show. I loved seeing them, and I hope we get more of them. I did enjoy when Luke told Iron Fist not to call him "Power Man." I think that was always one of the sillier code names, and it's nice to see that this version of Luke thinks so too.

Nice getting a young Cassie Lang into the show, makes me wonder if we'll see cameos by any other future Young Avengers. We did get to see a much older version of Iron Lad. So that's two Young Avengers... and while I am hoping: now that we've got both Luke Cage and Scott Lang in the show, will Jessica Jones be too far behind? If this show is going to get cancelled, let's at least see that infamous scene where Luke and Jessia drive in the Hershey Highway together.

Good episode. So let's move on to "Michael Korvac"


I never read the original Korvac story, but I did enjoy this. Korvac made his grand appearance in the same section of Central Park that Spidey and the Sinister Six tore up back in 2008, just FYI.

Josh Fine wasn't kidding when he said this was the "cosmic season." We've got Adam Warlock and the Guardians of the Galaxy. I don't think Warlock was a member of the Guardians in the comic, but I could be wrong. Interesting that he already has the Soul Gem.

Michael Korvac was abducted by the Kree, experimented on, given super powers and destroys thousands of lives faster than you can say "Hank takes Jan home and beats her senseless." Jan tries to help this guy, because she just loves psychotic men.

I know slim to none about the Guardians of the Galaxy. I have heard of Rocket Raccoon and Quasar, but that is where it ends. That being said, I did enjoy them here. And if these characters make appearances, just about anybody can. At this point it's obvious that the "cosmic season" won't be limited to the Kree and the Skrull. What else will we see? Who else will we see? We've got Captain Mar-Vell and Warlock. Will Thanos the Mad Titan show up too?

Sorry for the short reviews, again, catching up. Tomorrow, I'm doing this for Korra.

2 comments:

  1. THe Guardian of thee Galaxy I'm personally most curious about is Quasar. Given that in the comics, she's Mar-Vell's hybrid daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, Warlock was a Guardian in the comics.

    ReplyDelete