The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Monday, May 7, 2012

Where Is Greg?

I'm still here. Just been both very busy and very burnt out. But here's what's been on my mind, as far as this blog goes.

1. I have one "Young Justice" episode to review and two "Korras" and "Avengers." I'll get to them soon, I think. Definitely before the weekend when the work load piles up on me. I'll probably review YJ first since I have to for Worlds Finest. The other two shows will likely have their episode reviews combined into one post per show.

2. I am dying to go see "The Avengers" again. I loved that movie, flat out loved it. Before today, I owned "Iron Man" and "Incredible Hulk" on Blu-ray. I bought "Thor" the other day, and I'll be buying "Iron Man 2" and "Captain America" on Blu-ray soon. I want to have the complete set. After I sit through "Avengers" for a second time, I'll dive into spoilers here. I have a lot to say about it. May 4th shall forever be known as "Avengers Day" and no longer be known as "Star Wars Day." I mean, I like the first two flicks, but they have never been anything special and certainly don't deserve to be icons of geekdom.

3. ASK GREG over at Station Eight has gotten a lot more draconian. I know Greg regrets it, and on a few levels I regret it too, but what's been going on there with a lot of "Young Justice" fans has been nothing short of ridiculous. The burning stench if entitlement reeked. People were being rude, nasty, or not displaying any kind of common sense. I just checked and there are over twelve hundred questions in the queue as I type this. But I understand a good portion of those are going to be deleted, which will lead to drama. I'm  mostly avoiding s8's comment room lately, because of these people.

May I add that 'shipping is the lowest form of fandom there is? I might write a longer post about how much I hate rabid 'shippers some time.

4. My friend, Chris Abrams, is now a father. He's my brother's best friend, and I've known him since he was four. His girlfriend, Kristin, gave birth to a beautiful baby girl named Angel. I wish them well, and I wish them luck. With the exception of "Iron Man" and "The Incredible Hulk," I saw every midnight showing of each Marvel movie with them, I was living in Los Angeles when the first two came out. My brother saw them with the couple. We had plans to go see "The Avengers" with them, but her due date was May 4th, and even though these are never exact... nine months pregnant in a movie theater after midnight? Never a good thing. Memorable, maybe. Well, Angel was born less than an hour before the movie started.

5. I participated in a focus group recently to watch a pilot for a series that Fox is airing this fall, I think. It's called "Wicked Smart" and it's.... okay. Nothing horrible or offensive in it, but nothing clever and original. It's basically "Malcolm In the Middle" if the family was somehow even less sophisticated. But it did feature Claudia Christian of "Babylon 5" fame in a minor role as a school official... and the only really worthwhile character. None of the survey questions asked about her, but they did about every other character. I pretty much added notes to increase her role, I might tune in if that happens.

6. The Nostalgia Chick recently did her Top Ten Guilty Pleasure Movies, and it inspired me to do the same. The list is in the works, and some of the things on it just might surprise you. I also expect some people to complain about some entries being considered "guilty." But I'm used to that.

7. If you have not seen "The Avengers" then DO NOT WATCH THIS!



Good night, all.

11 comments:

  1. "May I add that 'shipping is the lowest form of fandom there is? I might write a longer post about how much I hate rabid 'shippers some time."

    With THAT comment may I add that I'm glad that I am 1,684.1 miles awa from you. :(

    Okay I won't lie that shipping some characters for me is a guilty pleasure. But I'd like to think I take pride in the fact that I keep some perspective about certain things in the fandom.
    For example, I'm not someone who's going to scream bloody murder at Red Arrow in Insecurity because he dare keeps KF and Artemis from getting closer. I know that to make an omelet you have to crack a few eggs first.
    Also I know that just because we don't see Wally or Artemis at the beginning of season 2, doesn't mean I think Greg has it out for those characters or any of their fans. Did I get a little annoyed? Sure, but I'm not going to go on to s8 to rant about it because I know they'll appear eventually.
    But yeah the rabid shippers do make me roll my eyes as well. It sometimes makes me embarassed to be a shipper of any sort sometimes. But then I just go to your obsessive shipper post from last year, just to remind myself that I am not as bad as they are. ;)

    Also I know you and some other people think Greg is being somewhat unfair with some of the new rules. But honestly, I feel he should've done something like this to weed out the hit and run posters A LONG TIME AGO. And I totally approve of this move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "But yeah the rabid shippers do make me roll my eyes as well. It sometimes makes me embarassed to be a shipper of any sort sometimes. But then I just go to your obsessive shipper post from last year, just to remind myself that I am not as bad as they are. ;)"

      I forgot about that post. Never mind, it's already been made.

      "Also I know you and some other people think Greg is being somewhat unfair with some of the new rules. But honestly, I feel he should've done something like this to weed out the hit and run posters A LONG TIME AGO. And I totally approve of this move."

      I never said it was unfair. I just hate that these YJ retards have pushed ASK GREG to the point where it has come to this. I approve also.

      Delete
  2. I gotta ask, what inspired you to almost make another shipping post? Something in the YJ fandom? The recent "Legend of Korra" shitstorm? Something else entirely?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly YJ shit. I watch Korra but I don't know much or follow its fandom. Was there a fandom shitstorm there? Yes, I did see the episode.

      Delete
    2. Indeed. Mostly about how "Whorra" led on those two, poor, gullible men.

      .....yeah, keep on ignoring the fandom. You're on the right track.

      Delete
  3. ''I mean, I like the first two flicks, but they have never been anything special and certainly don't deserve to be icons of geekdom.''

    Well, that's you're opinon because Star Wars doesn't mean anything to you. But since it does to so many other people, you shouldn't say with certainty that "they don't deserve to be icons of geekdom" as if that was absolute fact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can say whatever I want to as this is my blog. I won't sugarcoat my opinion... and I don't think Star Wars is anything special. And if so many people love it... well, I think those people are flat out wrong.

      Delete
  4. Generally I think shipping is harmless so long as fans don't think a) it's the most important thing in the show, and b) their ship is automatically going to happen in the show. I've seen shipping that just produces good fan art and stories, and then come the shipping wars because some people take their shit way to seriously. One of the reasons I stayed out of the Avatar fandom is that almost all of it is shipping wars. Just look at Zutarans to see an example of the worst kind of shipper.

    Speaking of that the whole "Whorra" business makes me hate fandom because heaven forbid a woman express interest in more than one man. If the genders of the characters were reversed none of these complaints would exist and that's just disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ''well, I think those people are flat out wrong.''

    Keyword there is "I THINK". I'm not saying you shouldn't express your opinions on your blog and I have no problem with your opinion. It's when you come across as saying your way is the only right way that you cross the line into immature elitism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I have to preface all of my opinions with "I think" .... REALLY!? As if that's not automatically assumed?!

      You call immature elitism on me, I call P.C. Thug on you.

      Delete
  6. ^ No, you don't have to. I was just pointing out the keyword there. Feel free to express your opinions however you want: I was just giving pointers on how to avoid any backlash. I mean, I'm of the opinion that the Star Wars franchise is so overdone that it's not remotely special, but to say the films that started it all don't deserve their iconic status is kind of silly to me. By that logic, what about Indiana Jones?

    PC Thug? Aw no, I wasn't trying to tell you what you CAN'T say: just pointing out something about what you DID say.

    ReplyDelete