The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Bloodlines


Oh yeah, there was a "Young Justice" episode this weekend too. This is going to be a hard one for me to review because, well, I don't care about the Flash, the Flash Legacy, or most anything this episode was paying tribute to. This was a lovely tribute to the Flash Legacy, but it mattered as much to me as a tribute to the Monkees ever will. That isn't to say it wasn't all well done, it was. I just didn't care. Well, that's not entirely true, I loved seeing Wally put on the Kid Flash costume again. And I hate seeing people complain and moan about how he is "not as good a speedster" as Flash or Impulse. This episode still depicts him as a far better character, and that means more to me than any feats of power. If feats of power mattered to me, I'd love Superman instead of loath him and everything associated with him.

I am so glad that Impulse's entire annoying personality is an act. I hope he breaks character again sooner rather than later. Characters with personalities like that tend to grate on me. I know some would call it "fun" but I guess I have an entirely different definition of fun.

I did, however, enjoy Red Arrow and Cheshire's story quite a bit. I assume that temple they found Roy in belongs to the League of Shadows. Now that the real Roy has been found, I can't wait to see where this goes, and how Lian is affected. The potential dynamic intrigues me.

Good episode, a great episode if you're a Flash enthusiast. I did like Wally's return and I am sure we'll see even more of him. But next week's episode features Artemis returning, and she is probably my favorite character in the entire series, so I cannot wait. I apologize for the short review, but this episode did not make much of an impact on me, and it was overshadowed by several "Avengers" episodes being bombarded at me, as well as a gigantic controversy about one of them.

5 comments:

  1. "I am so glad that Impulse's entire annoying personality is an act. I hope he breaks character again sooner rather than later. Characters with personalities like that tend to grate on me. I know some would call it "fun" but I guess I have an entirely different definition of fun."

    You feel that way too? Thank god, for a minute I thought the rest of the world was insane. Now it's just me and you. :p I know about Bart Allen, and believe me you would HATE him in the comics (well okay he wasn't AS annoying when he became the 2nd Kid Flash). But if his whole shtick is an act, to what end? It can't be preserving the timeline because he annoyingly did many stupid things that could've had negative impacts on the future. And if I hear one more person use the word "Crash" or "Mode", I'm kicking their ass.

    I don't think people are complaining about him being as fast as them so much that they think Wally hasn't come across as useful/clever in using their powers as them. Or that he sucks compared to them, whilst I can see their point, I don't agree with it. And now because they feel Bart comes off as better, they think he's gong to replace Wally's role on the show permanently. Some people need to be smacked with a clue by four. ;)

    The thing that annoyed me about Bart in this episode was that he came across as a Gary Stu, for reasons I already listed over @ Superherohype. However I'm willing to give Weisman and co. the benefit of the doubt here, because given Wally's annoyance with him (which I don't have a problem with because I feel the same way) I feel they're clearly setting up an arc with Wally and him. My guess is he might be taking up the Flash mantle later in the season. And I'm with you on the whole feats of strength rant. However I do think if he becomes The Flash, Bart being faster than him would feel wrong to me. But like the comics I can see a slight power upgrade in Wally's future. But not anything ridiculous.

    I wonder if "The Light" was even alive forty years later? Somehow I doubt that was the glorious future Vandal Savage had in mind.

    Anyways whats your take on time travel as it's being depicted on this show? The way Peter David described it on his blog doesn't really make much sense to me. I'm willing to accept history being changed if THAT is what they're going with, but I think the cause and effect of that should be an all or nothing deal. If Bart changed history by going back in time, ALL the changes should take place from that cause, not just one of them at a time, and another one taking effect later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, especially on time travel.

      History being changed, even a tad, on a Greg Weisman show?

      Delete
    2. Impulse's act is because he doesn't want anyone in the past to know about the awful future, for whatever reason (it may not be damage to the timeline so much as depressing the hell out of them).

      Delete
  2. I once asked Greg if there was a ban on the word "pregnant", because of all the euphemisms that had been used on Gargoyles and Young Justice. He said he was unaware of any such ban. I guess Iris' announcement was the ultimate rebuttal. http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?qid=13317

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I wonder if "The Light" was even alive forty years later? Somehow I doubt that was the glorious future Vandal Savage had in mind."
    This episode and True Colors make me think that they and The Reach are plotting against each other, with The Light planning for the invasion to fail, but in the normal timeline, The Reach Out-Gambit them.

    ReplyDelete