The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Two For the Price of One: Behold The Vision & Powerless

I will mostly be skipping over "Behold the Vision" so I will just say I enjoyed the episode. I was wondering when the Vision would show up, and I was not disappointed. Ultron is back also, and I am curious how he survived his self destruction in season one. I liked Hawkeye's verbal sniping at Black Panther, and like all of you, I was happy to see the shield has been repaired.

"Behold the Vision" was also the final episode before Jeph Loeb took charge. So let's move on to the first episode written by Man of Action, "Powerless."



This. Is. Going. To. Be. Painful.

Enchantress approaches Loki in his torture prison and offers him his freedom if he destroys Thor. To that end, she casts a spell on Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man that removes their powers. The spell will only be restored if .........

WHAT?!?!?!?!!?!?! The spell only lasts until the cursed finds INNER STRENGTH? Of all the cheesey LAME OVERDONE SATURDAY MORNING SPECIALS!!!!!!!! Thank you, Man of Action. CAP SHOULD HAVE REVERTED IMMEDIATELY, considering the Strength he showed in "Along Came A Spider". COME ON!

Well, I guess only Thor is the one who needs to learn humility and inner strength. WHAT THE FUCK!? Thor was willing to GIVE UP HIS HAMMER to BETA RAY BILL because he felt Bill NEEDED it MORE! How MUCH MORE CHARACTER DOES HE NEED TO SHOW? IT'S FRICKIN' MJOLNIR! This is the sort of Thor story you do in season one. Which…THEY ALREADY DID. THOR'S HUBRIS is WHAT PUT LOKI IN POWER IN ASGARD IN THE FIRST PLACE.

AND ANOTHER THING!!!!! IRON MAN'S ARMOR? REALLY? YOU DO KNOW THAT HE HAS MORE SUITS, RIGHT?

If they're going to take away Tony's science skills, why didn't Hawkeye get hit and loose his depth perception?

Oh…Really? Loki? Ending on a cliched villain line? YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!!!!

Yeah... remember, Jeph Loeb called "Man of Action" the best in the animation field. Not Chris Yost. Not Josh Fine. Not Greg Weisman. Not Bruce Timm. Not... shall I keep going?

23 comments:

  1. The fact that so much of Man of Action's stuff is boring/outright terrible will never cease to amaze me. I mean, Joe Kelly and Joe Casey are both members! These two are great comic book writers! Kelly's Deadpool run in particular was great. Oh well. Guess it's a case of too many cooks in the kitchen.

    At least "Assault on 42" and "Ultron Unlimited" were pretty good, and showed that Yost and Fine are still somewhat sticking around. It gives hope that the season's second half won't be so bad. (Now watch as this invokes Murphy's Law...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain, Sockie. Joe Casey has actually written good Avengers comics, Particularly a mini-series chronicling the team's early years. He should know better than this.

      Delete
  2. Meh, Loki could have been worse. He could have been outsmarted by Craptacular Douchebag-Man like in his own shitty show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, but "it could have been worse" is no defense.

      Delete
    2. Oh, no, that was not meant to be defense at all. It was a terrible portrayal of Loki. Just that Man of Action have done even worse to him.

      Another thing that was stupid to me: How Enchantress now seemed to be in full control of herself and willingly serving Surtur, nevermind that it was completely different in "Ballad of Beta Ray Bill", and an even stupider oversight that she was shown like that in the recap IN THE SAME EPISODE!

      Delete
  3. BTW, I loved the nod to "Wolverine & The X-Men" with Vision raiding Weapon-X for adamantium. Particularly hearing Tom Kane reprise the role of Weapon-X's mysterious "Professor".

    Kinda makes me want to see a proper crossover between the two shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised Drake Bell didn't dub over Tom Kane.

      Delete
    2. Naw, man. They're saving that for the Wolverine guest appearance so they can have Bell dub over Steve Blum.

      Delete
  4. I cried after I watched this episode.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's not kid ourselves. Though they took over as producers in Powerless. Jeph Loeb and his minion morons creeped in when Josh Keaton was dubbed over.

    Part of the reason I've been so reluctant to get into this season, is because I was scared that any stories they built up would crash down in Powerless, after seeing the abortion that is "Ultimate Spider-Man", *sigh* I hate being right sometimes. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Assault on 42 and Ultron Unlimited were damn cool.

      Delete
    2. Well I haven't seen them yet, but "Powerless" reeking of Jeph Loeb's mediocrity, doesn't fill me with that much hope.

      Delete
    3. Assault on 42 really is pretty damn cool. One of my favorites this season.

      Delete
  6. I'm worried Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes will become another Avengers: United They Stand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Powerless was just painful.

    Beyond what you've already said the ep just felt like MOA watched the Thor movie again and said, "hey now there's a good episode idea." Serious Thor loosing his Godhood only for it to return while fighting the Destroyer on his own, it's all from the movie.

    The Wreaking Crew seemed to do better at fighting the Powerless Avengers than the Destroyer did, which just isn't right. When you have a suit of armour made to kill gods that nearly kills Thor whenever it shows up it shouldn't be upstaged by the mooks who pull bank heists.

    Also why was the Destroyer kept on Earth? Surely Thor would send it back to Asgard since it belongs to his father. Oh right this is MOA where thinking is the enemy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man of Action - being the best in the animation field? Permit me to laugh harder and say this.

    Ben 10 - average and fun cartoon until Alien Force and Ultimate Alien.

    USM - Do. I. Need. To. Say It?

    Generator Rex - Man of Action's best show so far and that's saying an lot. I watched it myself, it's one of my fav animated shows. The writing is actually good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So in other words...They can't write consistently.

      Delete
    2. Considering they're four guys, that makes a lot of sense.

      Delete
    3. Well, yes. But in Ben 10's case, they were kicked off the show during Alien Force. I think when Season 3 rolled around, they were removed.

      Delete
  9. Saying Man of Action does much of anything is a bit of misconception. Man of Action usually makes nice series concepts and then carts the ideas off to terrible writers.

    But all differences aside, Jeph Loeb can go suck a dick

    ReplyDelete
  10. "The spell only lasts until the cursed finds INNER STRENGTH? Of all the cheesey LAME OVERDONE SATURDAY MORNING SPECIALS!!!!!!!!"

    Can't... keep my breakfast down. Too much... sweetness...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Off-Topic: Greg, have you seen the recent Korra episodes?

    BTW I think Loeb would have given Avatar an F+ out of spite.
    - Ongoing story arcs (which are tied up nicely)
    - Great character development (something USM doesn't have)
    - Brings in a wide audience (which pisses off Loeb for some reason.)
    - Doesn't insult their intelligence (unlike USM)
    - They make actually funny jokes (unlike USM)
    - It is very well-received amongst its target demographic. (unlike USM)

    On-Topic: Well, I'll just be watching Tron: Unlimited instead of Loeb's Crapticular Avengers show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have. I decided to wait until the season was over before I posted my thoughts.

      And yeah, you're right about Loeb.

      Delete