The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Three of My Favorite Things

Because I am a gigantic nerd about all three things. The world needs more Shakespeare, I think.



And for those wondering where the monologues are from:

"By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes" - Glory Grant
From Macbeth, Act IV, scene 1. Spoken by the Second Witch when Macbeth approaches.

"Presume not that I am the thing I was, for I have turned away my former self" - Harry Osborn
Henry IV, part 2. Act V, scene 5. Spoken by Henry V (formerly Prince Henry, a.k.a. Prince Harry, or Hal) to Falstaff. And the actual quote from the play is:

"Presume not that I am the thing I was;
For God doth know, so shall the world perceive,
That I have turned away my former self;
So I will those that kept me company."

"Reputation, Reputation, Reputation. Oh I have lost my reputation, I have lost the immortal part of myself, and what remains is bestial" - Kenny Kong
From Othello, Act 2, scene 3. Spoken by Cassio to Iago.

"Why shoes thou sugar on that bottled spider, who's deadly web ensareth thee about, fool, fool the day will come to curse this venomous bunch bagged toad" - Sha Shan
From Richard III, Act 1, scene 3. Spoken by Queen Margaret to Queen Elizabeth. The actual quote from the play is:

"Poor painted queen, vain flourish of my
fortune!
Why strew'st thou sugar on that bottled spider
Whose deadly web ensnareth thee about?
Fool, fool! thou whet'st a knife to kill thyself.
The day will come that thou shalt wish for me
To help thee curse this poisonous bunch-back'd toad."

"A villian, villian, smiley cursed villian, at one might smile and smile and be a villian. GO VILLIAN" - Sally
From Hamlet, Act I, scene V. Spoken by Hamlet. The actual lines from the play are:

"O villain, villain, smiling, damned villain!
My tables! Meet it is I set it down,
That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain;
At least I'm sure it may be so in Denmark."

"Doubt thou the stars are fire, doubt doth the sun doth move, doubt truth to be a liar, but never doubt my love" - Mary Jane
From Hamlet, Act II, scene 2. Spoken by Polonius, reading a love letter from Hamlet to Polonius' daughter, Ophelia, to Claudius and Gertrude, King and Queen of Denmark.

"Oh it is excellent to have a giant's strength but it is tyrannous to use it like a giant" - Liz Allan
From Measure for Measure, Act II, scene 2. Spoken by Isabella to Angelo.

"I will be brief, your noble son is mad, mad, call I it. for to define true madness what is to be nothing else but mad" - Flash Thompson
From Hamlet, Act II, scene 2. Spoken by Polonius to Claudius and Gertrude, King and Queen of Denmark.

6 comments:

  1. This is actually a great reference, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ""Presume not that I am the thing I was, for I have turned away my former self" - Harry Osborn"

    Huh, I didn't really pick up on what Harry's quote was supposed to be referencing (even if he really wasn't "HIM") until now. Thanks Greg.

    Sigh... why is something as terrible as Ultimate Spider-Man allowed to exist? You'd never see Shakespeare references on THAT show much less them fitting in so well in referencing certain situations perfectly. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, no Puck lines from Green Goblin?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ^ In the video, yes, but not the entry. I guess because everyone should know who said the lines, where they came from, and what their meanings are?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the episode and video made it clear that Gobby was reciting Puck.

      Delete