The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Sunshine and Frosty Swirl


This season is really on a roll. I love it when I can get angry at the main characters in a production when it's not because the production is terrible. As with last episode, this one was heart-wrenching. I think the best reason to the argument that Dexter is not as bad as the people he kills would come from one of the season two episodes. Dexter is looking around at all the bodies that were dragged up from the ocean floor and he simply says “How many more bodies would there be if I hadn’t killed these people.” That’s my stance on this issue and it always has been.

All that being said, and this is what made me angry at Dexter, it's not just about him anymore. Truth be told, it wasn't about him the moment he committed to Rita way back in the show's inaugural season. But this is different, Debra is his adopted sister, who he grew up with, is in on the secret. She is trying to help him, she helped him cover up a murder, and she is sticking her neck out for him. If Dexter gets caught, Deb is an accomplice and her career is the least she will have to worry about. Seeing Dexter just manipulate her like that, and give her a moment of hope for him just to get her off his back briefly made me angry at him. I know it's an addiction, I get that... but he could at least try to help her help him.

Is Debra being naive thinking she can be Dexter's rehab? Sadly, the answer is yes. But I won't begrudge her for it. Be is family, friend, or lover, I know what it's like to love someone that much... would I turn in my favorite human being on the planet if I discovered a secret this dark? I don't know... maybe I'm stupid myself, but right now I'd say no. Granted I haven't been confronted with the situation and I hope I never am, but I empathize with Deb here even as much as I think she is kidding herself. I really have to hand it to Jennifer Carpenter for the performance she is turning in. When she punched him in the face before storming out of his apartment, you could feel the mix of emotions.

I hope Louise Green goes away and soon. Do I believe his story that this is about Dexter trashing his game? I'm not sure. I have met some geeks who are that OCD and insane about their obsessions and fixations. But, at this point, I think Dexter is handling this all wrong. Louise had Dexter's credit card numbers! He was hacking his accounts. Tell Debra, let her handle it! Yeah, Dexter would have to explain breaking into his apartment... but she already knows that he's the Bay Harbor Butcher. I think she'd just be relieved he didn't kill anybody at this point. There is already enough to send Louise to prison. And if he does know about Dexter's secret too...

... well, that could actually be a problem. LaGuerta is going to be trouble this season. Well, she's always trouble, but now she knows for sure that Doakes wasn't the Bay Harbor Butcher. Considering that relationship, she is going to do everything in her power to find the real Bay Harbor Butcher. Will she be dead by the end of the season? I suspect one long time character will be. My money is on either LaGuerta or Deb.

The subplot about the Ukrainian mob boss hasn't grabbed me yet, but it's still early, we'll see where this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment