The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Monday, January 28, 2013

The So-Called Curse


Am I shocked that "Young Justice" got axed? No. Truthfully, I've known this was coming for a while. Behind the scenes knowledge or not, the writing was on the wall ever since "Beware the Batman" and "Teen Titans Go" were announced; The DC Nation is a one hour block, where did you all think those two new shows were going?  I haven't watched "Green Lantern" but my condolences to the fans of that show show as well, and to the very talented Mr. Josh Keaton.

However, what I would like to talk about is this so-called curse that the internet says Greg Weisman has. Yes, I've made the joke once or twice myself. "Young Justice": Cancelled after two seasons. "The Spectacular Spider-Man": Cancelled after two seasons. "W.I.T.C.H.": Cancelled after two seasons. "Gargoyles": Cancelled after two seasons.* What does this all mean?

There are no such things as curses. There IS however such things as idiot crack head TV execs who decide what gets aired and what doesn't by who sucks their dick more… assholes.

There's always the next show. Maybe it will be another comic book property. Maybe it will be that "Gargoyles" spin-off that I've been pining to get for over a decade now. Maybe it will be something completely original. Like all good things, it'll likely get taken from us prematurely as well. Not because of any curse, but... see the last paragraph. But for now, we have seven more episodes of "Young Justice Invasion" still coming, and a library of shows and comics to revisit.



* "The Goliath Chronicles" totally doesn't count.

17 comments:

  1. Greg DID say he was busy in one of his rambles, so here's hoping he's got something new cooked up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an aspiring writer myself this bumms me out. And after this I'm done with cartoon network. It sort of makes you wonder gregs shows have been killed by both disney and cartoon network. What next nickalodeon? I'm going to watch the next seven episodes and the green lantern series with a heavy heart. Just thought id put my thoughts out there hope you don't mind greg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's hoping Greg Weisman's next great show comes sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait, he's busy with something?

    And is it me or is Weisman the Bryan Fuller of animation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fuck no.

      He's the Joss Whedon of animation.

      Delete
    2. I meant in the sense that both dudes keep getting the shaft.

      Delete
    3. The Whedon analogy still works better.

      Delete
    4. Okay point taken but I'm not sure if the analogy works given his recent success with The Avengers.

      Delete
  5. Teen Titans Go - Redudancy much? If I want comedy, I'll go watch Gravity Falls.

    Beware The Batman - On the fence about this one. Really am.

    May I have permission to use th Doug Walker clip from his NC review of Battlefield Earth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm intrigued by your belief that only one comedy cartoon can exist at a time.

      Delete
    2. It's more of I'm going to be annoyed by Teen Titans Go!'s comedy, based off a DC Nation short which is funny in short bursts, but carrying it for an half-hour will get annoying.... it's like watching USM.... only in chibi form.

      Delete
  6. I think the attention span of execs/networks for high-quality television has gotten shorter. If Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Babylon 5 premiered today, they wouldn't last as long as they did. That's in general, of course, since Gargoyles was an earlier show too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least "Gargoyles" had a large handful of episodes despite just two seasons. I've sometimes joked that it's thanks to it being a 90's show, and Weisman is "cursed" nowadays because his shows can't even sell a T-shirt. In the new millienium, it seems what SELLS is more important to the execs than what's truly good quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the contrary, The YJ shirts at Hot Topic (that he posted about) actually sold out. The toyline (which contributed to the show being cut off) flopped. But I blame that more on how shoddy they made the action figures, the only ones that have been worth it are the 6 inch ones that have higher articulation (got an Artemis one, since she might not see exposure beyond YJ as a character. At least the Artemis I love). And even then those were in the $20 range, no way are parents going to get that for their kids on a consistent basis.

      Delete
  8. Cancelling two shows for another...Seriously, is expanding the block to two hours THAT big of a stretch?

    I used to think that he was cursed, but you know what? His cartoons were just too good for mainstream America, who would rather see sloppily designed idiots shouting at each other or pop culture figures doing some disgusting stuff.

    Maybe he'll have better luck at live action...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be honest, I was more offended by DC Nation getting taken off the schedule last fall then I was by this. Probably because I at least understand the reasoning behind not continuing the show. As much as I hate the business world sometimes, I don't think execs have anything against a show one way or another, they have to make money, it's part of their jobs. And like Gargoyles not getting part 2 of its 2nd season released; I might not like the reasoning but I can understand it.

    Except Ultimate Spider-Man, that was totally biased against a better product. :p

    ReplyDelete
  10. DAMMIT! I wanted to see Young Justice have a 3rd season. Well, at least with how this show is going, it might be able to avoid a huge cliffhanger ending. But still, nearly EVERY show I like to come out in recent years gets cut too short, or had something stupid done with it in the case of EMH.

    ReplyDelete