The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Monday, March 25, 2013

Supernatural


It's funny, this is a show that's currently on its ninth season, on a major network, and I had never heard of it. I probably would have continued to be ignorant of this show had my close friend and partner in snark, sarcasm, and laughing at stupid people, Jennifer L. Anderson, hadn't become obsessed with the show back in September. Even then, I avoided it. I didn't feel like getting sucked into another TV show... which is funny, since I watch so little TV nowadays. But, after months of her raving about it, and her recommending it to me, and she probably knows my tastes better than any other person on the planet, I gave it a shot...

... and she had to urge me to keep watching, because it was a slow build. But once I got about half way through the second season, I began watching it without her having to urge me to. It became something we did together, which is a lot of fun, especially when you can throw the kind of snark back and forth that we do.

So far, I've only watched the first five seasons, and they were a fun ride in an Impala. The show focuses on two brothers, Dean and Sam Winchester. Their mother was murdered by a yellow-eyed demon when Sam was an infant, and their father began raising them as soldiers to hunt demons and monsters. Eventually, Sam tries to escape this life, goes to college, to law school, but as this family is cursed and he himself is the living macguffin for ultimate evil, he gets sucked back in.

It's a shit ton of fun. Our protagonists go from hunting monsters and demons to becoming key players in a war between Heaven and Hell, and at one point they decapitate Paris Hilton with an iron ax (which was very therapeutic for me, let me tell you). Ironically, I thought the most frightening episode was one where the monster of the week was an ordinary human psychopath. The series also does comedy really well, especially when Ben Edlund (yes, that Ben Edlund) pens the script as well as drama. And, yes, burgers and pie are a virtue, not a vice.

I'm sure that in the very near future, Jen and I resume with season six and get me caught up, she's already seen every episode of the series. Right now, it reminds me of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel" at their heights, and this is a good thing. I'm enjoying it immensely, even if I have every intention of avoiding it's nut job fandom (Jen warned me about them). But, I'm having a good time, and I look forward to the next series she gets into that she makes me dive into.

8 comments:

  1. //Ironically, I thought the most frightening episode was one where the monster of the week was an ordinary human psychopath.//

    Are you talking about The Benders?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was talking about the season four episode, "Family Remains".

      http://www.serialmente.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/supernatural-4x11-family-remains.png

      Delete
    2. A second human villain on Supernatural? Well, that surprised me. That and it resembles a real-life case makes it more scarier.

      Note: And I thought Gordon Walker was scary.

      Delete
  2. Ah supernatural. The first episode I ever saw hooked me instintly but than again it was the one where a sentient alchoholic teddy bear tries to commit suicide. How could I not be hooked?

    When it comes to supernatural I've always viewed it in movie terms. The first five seasons act as one story thus its the first film. Seasons 6 and up are very much their own thing. Resolving dangling threads from the past but very much setting up its own story. Thus part 2. And thus like every sequel its judged by its comparison to the original. But its still amazing.

    Greg I'm curious to know what's your views on the brothers themselves,as individuals, castiel, and villians. Especially lucifer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "t was the one where a sentient alchoholic teddy bear tries to commit suicide. How could I not be hooked?"

      I nearly had a heart attack laughing at that.

      "When it comes to supernatural I've always viewed it in movie terms. The first five seasons act as one story thus its the first film. Seasons 6 and up are very much their own thing. Resolving dangling threads from the past but very much setting up its own story. Thus part 2. And thus like every sequel its judged by its comparison to the original. But its still amazing."

      I just started season six, but it's okay so far. No complaints.

      "Greg I'm curious to know what's your views on the brothers themselves,as individuals, castiel, and villians. Especially lucifer."

      I think Sam and Dean are both fascinating characters in their own rights. It's one of the most realistic sibling relationships I have ever seen in fiction. They compare, contrast and compliment each other very well while very much being different people.

      I especially love how Sam is the one who is more like their father than Dean could ever be and was the one who tried to escape and do his own thing, while Dean followed in John's footsteps and hero worshipped him. Making them both parallels to Lucifer and Michael was amazing, and at no point felt contrived or forced. When you find out, it's an "OF COURSE!" instead of an "Oh, please."

      Castiel is great. He does the right thing even if it means defying Heaven... sometimes I wonder how much like Lucifer this makes him, but I guess we'll soon see.

      I've enjoyed most of the villains so far. I love how Crowley is shaping up, Azazel was someone I couldn't wait to see killed... and I hope Meg eventually bites it. I loved Bela, and the angels are perfectly colossal dicks.

      Lucifer himself? He reminds me of Mike Carey and Neil Gaiman's take on "Lucifer" and this is a good thing. At some point I'm going to review that series and get more into my thoughts on the Morningstar, and his depictions in pop culture, fiction, and history. But yeah, I'm liking this version a lot.

      Delete
  3. Nice to see you can get into new old shows. If you want to dive into a new series before Jen makes you do it, I'd recommend checking out the first season of "Once Upon A Time", the series I recently did a blog entry about. (You'd probably enjoy the Demona and Xanatos-esque natures of Regina Mills and Mr. Gold as well as I did.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! I also just recently discovered SUPERNATURAL!Got hooked up on it and I've currently finished watching the latest episode. Nice blogpost! :D

    Check my Supernatural posts:

    http://kid-wicked.blogspot.com/2013/04/a-female-hunter-what-if-dean-turned.html
    and
    http://kid-wicked.blogspot.com/2013/04/10-reasons-why-you-should-and-shouldnt.html

    THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So greg how far along are you now and what are you thinking so far?

    ReplyDelete