The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Story Time With Uncle Greg

If I ever sound surly about stupidity on the internet and taste in movies, I will confess that it is almost a conditioned response from me at the moment. While I have gotten better and know when to just leave things alone now, I want to recount a story from the past where I did get into an altercation with an individual over a difference of opinions.

It was early 2009, the Academy Award nominations for 2008 had just been announced, and "The Dark Knight" was not nominated for Best Picture. Sad, yes. But an individual, who for the sake of anonymity, we'll call Ted, was furious. Ted went on a tirade, and called "The Dark Knight" the most dramatic and powerful movie he had ever seen. Now, while I do love "The Dark Knight," I felt the need to tell him he needed to see more movies, if this was the case.

 I wrote up a fairly lengthy list of films that I thought were great. This was not meant to insult Ted, but to give him a chance to expand his horizons. Many of the films I listed, he had no interest in. Some of the movies I listed, like "Citizen Kane," he thought was boring and didn't deserve the classic status it had.

Then Ted got my recommendation for "Schindler's List" and said he had seen it, but that "The Dark Knight" was more powerful. Perhaps I should have left this alone, but I couldn't let this go. I asked him how he could possibly think that. His response was "I don't know any Jews." After that, I literally hit the ceiling. As if Jews were another species almost. "Schindler's List" isn't about Nazis being cruel to Jews so much as it's about how one human being can pointlessly do this to another. And what's more, these things happened. These things were real. I don't know anyone from Darfur, but make a movie about the atrocities there like that (if there is, I haven't seen it), and I'll get behind it. The argument degenerated from there, and eventually an administrator stepped in and ended it.

Maybe I should have let it go, I probably should have let it go. But I couldn't. I'm not saying Ted is antisemitic. I don't believe he is, so much as he was ignorant. Looking back now, especially since I've gotten over my need to correct everyone on the internet, I wonder if my rage at the time was justified. And while I've calmed down and mellowed since then, if this happened today, I doubt I could let it go.

By the way, I later on recounted that story to my friend, Jill, while prepping this blog and that is where the name "Clue-By-Fours" came from

7 comments:

  1. Ouch. Just ouch, guy. Well, maybe this Ted fellow changed his mind and grew up. He'd have to felt bad about that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all fairness, "Ted" wasn't a bad guy, and to this day I assume he isn't. But even decent people can say some chillingly stupid things.

      Delete
    2. True enough really. To be honest, I have to ask why he thought knowing anyone who is Jewish matters especially in the form of the question, "I don't know any Jews."

      I mean, I got serious anti-semite vibes from that statement of his to be honest.

      Delete
    3. Maybe I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, because while I haven't spoken to "Ted" in years, he was usually a chill guy.

      But yes, I see the vibes.

      Delete
    4. Then do you think he might still be around whatever forum it was if you don't mind me asking?

      Delete
    5. Point taken.

      If this is bumming you out, I'm sorry. If it makes you feel better, I didn't watch the MTV Movie Awards since I zero interest in those; but I have found out that Ted didn't win anything. The Avengers ended up winning a few awards, it even won Movie of the Year.

      Delete