The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Friday, April 12, 2013

What I'm Up To

1. I recently finished watching the first season of "Game of Thrones." And by recently, I mean I finished about thirty minutes ago. I actually ended up watching the entire season in one day. It's a very good show. I plan to start season two tomorrow. Will I end up marathoning it, too? Probably. But expect a full review of the show once I get caught up. This is gold.

2. I am planning two "Justice League" reviews in the future. One for "Starcrossed" and one for "Destroyer." I think I want to take a look at both finales, one I love and another I loathe, and... well, I'll figure it out when I get there. Not sure when that will be, but expect them.

3. I ran a little experiment this past week. I wanted to see if I would get any comments if I reviewed things outside the norm here. Specifically "Elizabeth" and "Titus." I got none... come on, guys. You can all be well rounded geeks, too! I love comics and animation; but I also love Shakespeare, history, serious film; and all that other cool stuff. Broaden your horizons a bit! But yeah, expect more reviews in that vein, in addition to more geeky reviews.

4. I will be attending a production of "King Lear" at the Hudson Valley Shakespeare Festival this summer, and I have every intention in the world of reviewing that. Should be fun, and different. I don't think I've reviewed a play on here before. "Titus" was a movie production based on a play, so I don't count it.

5. Trying to decide if I should review the second season of "Legend of Korra" episode by episode, or just review the season in one go, once it's all over.

6. I do intend to review the final season of "Dexter" episode by episode, and that's starting up relatively soon.

7. I might do some more retro reviews. Take a look at some older material, good or bad, and review them here. Not sure what, we'll see.

8. I'm considering doing something like Quentin Tarantino month, or something. A little special where over the course of a month, I'll review all of Quentin's movies. If it works out, I might consider similar things of that nature for other artists.

9. Seriously, Joffrey is a little shit!



10. We are in the process of buying a house and moving. The move is scheduled for late May, or early June. So if I disappear for a while, between cutting off the internet here, the move itself, and setting the internet back up in the new digs, that's why.

17 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm perfectly willing to give some Shakespeare based films a shot. My lack of viewing is really just procrastination on my part. I mean for one thing in the geek category, I didn't really get around to regularly viewing any Star Trek related material until I was 24, plus I'm currently 30, and still haven't seen a Star Wars film (I've seen The Clone Wars cartoon and the Lego adaptations at most).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen Titus. Not avoiding it, just hasn't happened yet.

    I've seen Elizabeth twice, but both times were about 15 years ago shortly after its release, so I didn't think I could bring much to the party by commenting. I started but didn't finish the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh God, I almost had a heart attack seeing Joffrey there on your blog! He IS a little shit, and I don't think I'm spoiling anything by saying that in the second season, he only gets WORSE.

    Glad you finally got into "Game Of Thrones", I'll expect to see a review post of it soon. I watched the first season back in winter and loved it, especially Pinter Dinklage's Emmy winning performance. As with "Once Upon A Time", I don't like the second season as much as the first, mainly because it makes big deviations from the book which I felt unnessecary because the books were still good at the time. The current season might be a rebound, though. As for the books, the first three books in the "A Song Of Ice And Fire" series are highly reccommended: they're some of the best damn fantasy books around. Shame that Martin kind of lost his way after that....

    Like that anon commenter, I was unfamiliar with "Elizabeth" and "Titus", and thus couldn't comment. Now I do think I want to see them, though. Thanks for the review. ^^

    Nothing's solid yet about when the second season of "Korra" will be premiering, so you have plenty of time to contemplate. I hope it has a better done story than the first season, though I'm unsure if it'll have a villain as good as Amon or even Tarrlok.

    Well...that's a coincidence. My house is in the selling proccess now, and we're set to move in June or early July. We're going to be in the same boat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Season Two of Once had a bit of a slow start, but in retrospect I may actually end up liking it better than Season One because they've had such a variety of plotlines this season.

      Delete
  4. Tarantino month sounds groovy. The second season of Korra episode by episode should be interesting.

    Also, I seriously recommend watching Hannibal, it just got better by the time second episode aired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannibal Lecter really is a "less is more" character for me. I love "Silence of the Lambs" but I don't feel the need to see more of him beyond that.

      Delete
    2. It's not a prequel. Nor does deal with the man's past.

      However in terms of performance, Mads Mikkelsen may just surpass Anthony Hopkins.

      Delete
    3. There will definitely be a Tarantino month. Starting with "True Romance" and ending with "Django Unchained."

      Delete
  5. Funny picture. The irony is that Cersei actually wanted to have Jaime's children, and had an abortion the one time she was pregnant by Robert (in the book, not the show).

    ReplyDelete
  6. ''Hannibal Lecter really is a "less is more" character for me. I love "Silence of the Lambs" but I don't feel the need to see more of him beyond that.''

    Especially if he's not even played by Sir Anthony Hopkins. I would actually recommend you watch "Red Dragon", though, since I think it's just as good as "Silence of the Lambs". But avoid the movie "Hannibal", even if that one DID have Hopkins!

    And also, noybusiness:

    ''Season Two of Once had a bit of a slow start, but in retrospect I may actually end up liking it better than Season One because they've had such a variety of plotlines this season.''

    That's actually the reason I like it LESS than Season One.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopkins technically was a replacement for someone else. Ever seen Manhunter?

      Delete
    2. I've seen "Hannibal" and "Red Dragon." I'm not a fan of either of them. While I'm glad "Hannibal" did away with the stupid ending of the book, it was still... rubbish.

      "Red Dragon" was a Brett Ratner movie. While he lucked into a good cast (I love Ed Norton and Mary Louise Parker), there was just something there that felt... I don't know, cheap.

      Delete
    3. I don't consider Sir Anthony Hopkins to be a replacement for Brian Cox anymore than I consider Josh Keaton a replacement for Christopher Daniel Barnes.

      Delete
    4. Matter of taste, then. I like that Once has been doing more different things.

      Delete
  7. I liked your "Elizabeth" and "Titus" reviews. But I rarely comment. My comment on your Elizabeth review would probably have been directed at your opening remarks rather than the review itself, and my Titus comment would have been "Yeah, okay, I should probably get around to watching this some time".

    (I've also just deleted a second paragraph in this comment to convince you to watch the first episode of Hannibal. Because I wasn't adding much to the conversation. I delete comments like that a lot.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What do you think of Alive before Destroyer? That had a fullblown villain civil war and the heroes don't have a single line of dialogue.

    ReplyDelete