The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Quentin Tarantino Month!


It's May 1st, and I thought I would kick off Quentin Tarantino Month in style. Let's take a look at the man himself. Tarantino was born in Knoxville, Tennessee and was moved by his mother to Torrance, California at the age of two where he would spend his developing years at the cinema. Dropping out of school at age fifteen, Quentin briefly pursued acting before taking a job as a clerk at a video rental store (look them up, they don't exist anymore) called Video Archives in Manhattan Beach where he lived and breathed movies.

While working at the video store and living on a friend's couch, Tarantino met Lawrence Bender at a party, and wrote his first screenplay titled "My Best Friend's Birthday" in 1987, sadly the final reel was destroyed in a lab fire during editing. He then went on to write "True Romance," which would end up being directed by Tony Scott; and "Reservoir Dogs" which made it to Harvey Keitel who read it, liked it, and his participation brought it a budget. "Reservoir Dogs" became a hit at the Sundance Film Festival in 1992, and the rest is history.

The moral of this story is if you're smart, clever, and have passion; there is no limit to where you can go if you work hard to get there, and make some good contacts along the way. Now, I definitely do not advocate dropping out of school, but it is definitely part of what makes Tarantino so appealing. He's the geek who made it, and someone I aspire to eventually become.

In the very near future, I'll be reviewing "True Romance." I'm sure you all can't wait. But for now, I'll leave you with this.

2 comments:

  1. Confession: I've ONLY ever seen "Pulp Fiction." So I'll defenitely look forward to seeing you review Tarantino's other movies, and maybe it'll influence which ones I check out in the future.

    PS: You see Nostalgia Critic's "Top 11 South Park episodes" video? Good lord, Doug's railing against TMZ and all who enjoy that sort of crap was dead on! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I hope I entertain and inform with them. If you think I'm a Weisman fanboy, wait til you see my Tarantino reviews. ;)

      And yeah, I saw it. That rant about TMZ was so beautiful... I'm not gay, but I'd fellate Doug for that and that alone.

      Delete