The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Sorry I've not been around lately. Been busy getting the new house in order, we still have a lot of work to do. So here's a small rant, and I promise a return to "Tarantino Summer" very soon.

In the mean time...


Yeah, that was my reply on tumblr. And this claim has been driving me nuts for years now. As I've already said, some people really need to broaden their horizons. There seems to be a large group of people who think that pop culture began with Marvel and DC. Stop it, go read the classics.

Rant over.

8 comments:

  1. Luthor and Stark? Huh? I always thought Xanatos was an evil Bruce Wayne! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was designed as a hero cast as the villain also, and Greg has used Bruce Wayne as an example... but I would hardly call Bruce Wayne a trickster figure either.

      He was based mostly on Odysseus.

      Delete
  2. Odysseus is all the more apt since we know that Xanatos is of Greek descent. (And the "Odyssey" makes it clear that Odysseus is a family man as well as a trickster - just as Xanatos will do anything to keep Fox's life from being consumed by a magical talisman or to keep his son from being kidnapped by Oberon.)

    Though Tony Stark's design (from what I've seen of it) does look kind of like Xanatos's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony Stark didn't have a goatee until maybe ten years ago. Before that, he wore a mustache, and looked nothing like David.

      Delete
  3. What do you think of Beware the Batman?

    I personally found it ok, but not really worth following.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, two episodes are out. If you are ever bored, I'd say give it a look see.

      Cheers!

      Delete
  4. The classics, whether plays or mythology I think have always inspired superhero comics and subsequent fiction as the ages have gone on.

    ReplyDelete