The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Summer 2013

Well, summer 2013 has come to an end. I cannot wait to see "World's End" and then that's it for me. But as I don't know when I will be seeing it, I can't review it.

My biggest regret of this summer has been neglecting this blog and Tarantino Month which turned into Tarantino Summer (and I botched that too), but life has been keeping me busier. Busier than it has been in a very long time. But in a good way. This has been a great summer, and a great year.

The summer's two biggest highlights for me are buying a house... becoming a property owner. It's a big step in the game of Life. New house and a new car. The other one is the release of "Gargoyles: Season Two, Volume Two." While I am not so obsessed with this show that I consider that greater than owning a home, it makes me happy; I've waited eight years for it... and now I have the complete run of my favorite show of all time (I know I put "The Daily Show" ahead of it when I made my Favorite Shows post, but who the hell was I kidding?). I also attended Connecticon and met Doug Walker and got to hang out with Marina Sirtis.

I hung out with a lot of friends this summer, met some new ones. So, overall, I can't complain. It's been good.

Now comes the part where I rank the summer movies. Well, the ones I saw, anyway.

Iron Man 3 - 4/5
Star Trek: Into Darkness - 1/5
Man of Steel - 1/5
Much Ado About Nothing - 5/5
Pacific Rim - 4/5
The Butler - 3/5

I didn't get to see everything. I had no interest in "The Wolverine" and I am waiting for "Kick Ass 2" to hit the second run theater. My opinion on "Man of Steel" has actually managed to lower since it came out and I thought about it more... don't ask why, I am finished discussing that movie. I look forward to "Thor: The Dark World" and I really am looking forward to "The Desolation of Smaug."

Great summer, I hope for more like it.

3 comments:

  1. I don't think my theater had Much Ado About Nothing the entire time sadly. One of the distributors is distributing In a World which I wanted to see with Riddick and it wasn't there.

    But I did see four of the movies on your ratings list. Iron Man 3 and Pacific Rim were the best from your list, Star Trek Into Darkness, it's okay but I have huge problems given that it rehashed a bit of Wrath of Khan word for word and I was definitely disappointed with Man of Steel.

    I did like these summer movies though, not counting Pain & Gain since that was released in April, still love the film though.

    Iron Man 3
    Fast & Furious 6
    The Heat
    Despicable Me 2
    Pacific Rim
    You're Next
    Blue Jasmine
    The World's End

    Kick-Ass 2 is lacking compared to the first film for the record.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, speaking of Doug.

    http://blip.tv/nostalgiacritic/nc-the-last-airbender-6637022

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just got done with watching all 5 seasons of The Wire. It's still a fantastic show that deserves way more credit than it ever got.

    ReplyDelete