The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

And Now For Something Positive



I recently finished watching the first season of "Downton Abbey" and this show is terrific. It's a British period piece, set in the years leading up to World War I (actually, season one ends with the war breaking out) about an aristocratic family in the Yorkshire countryside and their servants during the reign of King George V. Hugh Bonneville plays Robert Crawley, the Earl of Grantham whose heirs died when the Titanic sunk, and he can't leave his estate to his daughter, Mary and wants to, so he needs to find a new heir. That's the pilot, and it gets better from there.

The cast is terrific, the writing is very sharp. I've always been an enthusiast of history, and I love all the references to the events surrounding them. I've only just begun season two, and I'm loving it. It's a BBC show which airs on PBS. If you haven't seen it, I believe it's on Netflix. It features a footman named Thomas who is as much of a villainous scumbag as I've ever seen.

I plan to start "Breaking Bad" soon, too... and I'm sure I'll like it. Thank gods I have "Game of Thrones", "Downton Abbey", "Supernatural", and I'm sure "Breaking Bad" to keep me happy when other shows have disappointed me.

7 comments:

  1. Looks like another one to add to the "To Watch" pile.

    I've caught up with "Supernatural" over the summer, so it will be interesting to see the new episodes as they air. I'm also halfway through the third season of "Game of Thrones." College has been hectic, so I'll have to put the second half on hold for a bit. But I'm looking forward to it.

    Hope you enjoy "Breaking Bad"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It airs on PBS? Not something I'd expect to see there.

    I can relate to the Anonymous poster in having a pile of shows I'd like to check out. What other ones could there be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Downton Abbey is great. I've seen all three seasons that have aired in the US so far (because I gave the Blu-Ray sets to my father for Father's Day and we all watched them). The fourth airs here in January.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where are you at on Supernatural and what are your thoughts on it? Hope season 7 didn't throw you off like a lot of people. Season 8 was a huge improvement, especially the second half.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm up to date. I like the show a lot. Yeah, season seven wasn't the best season and Dick Roman was far from the best villain, but eight was a huge step up and Crowley is one of the great TV villains.

      Delete
  5. On the note of British shows, you ever watched Father Ted?

    ReplyDelete