The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Friday, November 1, 2013

An Update

1. "Shows I Want To Like" will not be an ongoing segment on this blog, after all. I dropped both "Legend of Korra" and "Agents of SHIELD". I just couldn't stand either one of them. I've gone on about my problems with the former ad nauseum. The latter, well aside from Agent May, I hated all the new characters. The writing was barely above amateur, and the acting is laughable... especially from Skye and Ward. Maybe if Coulson was the main character, but he's not... Skye is and she's terrible. Both her and Ward need to be taken out behind the barn and shot. Considering those two characters are getting terrible buzz, alongside the two actors, I wonder if maybe something will be done... Marvel Studios are already planning to "fix" the Mandarin.

2. I think the reason I've been dragging my feet with the Tarantino movies is Jackie Brown is terrible and I'm not looking forward to re-watching it. But I plan to set time aside to do it tomorrow, so I can cross that hurdle and get to Kill Bill, Death Proof, Inglourious Basterds, and Django Unchained. I think I'll save Django for late December, one year after it came out and see how it holds up.

3. This is just an FYI to you all. If you recommend a show to me, and I say I'm not interested, insisting on it, and pushing it is more likely to turn me off to it, as opposed to getting me to check it out. Generally speaking, it takes a lot to get me to watch a new TV show, and I am more likely to if the recommendation comes from a handful of people I personally know who are both friends as well as professional contacts... I just don't have time to check out everything. It's not that I don't value your opinions, I wouldn't allow comments if I didn't, I just don't have the time and stick with people I know and trust. Don't take it personally.

13 comments:

  1. Personally, I'm more open to S.H.I.E.L.D. as I actually don't find the characters to be terrible. And besides, I believe I heard similar criticisms regarding season one of Buffy so perhaps the same will hold true to this show.

    Although I am one who prefers to see things to the very end even if a show's future looks bleak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, it's just a TV show and I don't feel a need to see it through. My time is limited and I'd rather use that time for better things.

      I spent six straight days watching Breaking Bad and I certainly don't regret that. But it's also a much better show than "Agents of SHIELD". So much so that mentioning AoS in the same paragraph is a grave insult to it, and I would apologize to BB were it a human being.

      Delete
    2. I have an interest in Breaking Bad if it makes you feel better but I'm certainly not afraid to mention that and Agents of SHIELD in the same sentence. Then again, I suppose you'd consider me demented based on that.

      I guess it's a similar belief with me and Takashi Miike as he has said he doesn't understand why people walk out during the middle of a movie. I've adopted a similar policy with films and tv shows.

      Delete
    3. "Then again, I suppose you'd consider me demented based on that."

      No, not based on that.

      "I've adopted a similar policy with films and tv shows."

      That's a really stupid policy, especially if a show runs several seasons. But then, I have far better things to do with my time than watch a show I don't like.

      Delete
    4. Like I said, I just want to see it'll get better or at least where things will go from there.

      You don't have to agree but I'm just me basically.

      Delete
  2. By the way, Drew Pearce already debunked that whole "real Mandarin" thing. It's not happening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry neither shows worked out for you Greg.


    As for point #3: fair enough, I'm sure you have a tight schedule as it is. I do hope someone in your circle recommends Archer sometime to you, that one is great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Korra actually has improved MASSIVELY since beginnings (korra has finally taken responsibility for her actions and not only apologized but become much more mature; even though she's on a deadline and in a hurry she's been consistently softspoken and patient, and is actually fighting for a sympathetic and noble goal (well more sympathetic and noble) mako's own foolish choices have bitten him in the ass by allowing varrick to set up a frame job, and we get both elaboration on events from the first half which clarify a lot, but also build up to a conclusion that might even match the aang ozai showdown) but at the end of the day it's your choice. Oh and I'm looking forward to your Tarantino reviews; those have always been good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, just drop it about Korra. I like the show myself, but Greg has elaborated enough about why he doesn't watch it anymore.

      If he decides in the future to check the rest of it out, he'll say something about it.


      But right now, he does not want to talk about it, so please don't bring it up again here.

      Delete
    2. Fair enough. I personally don't agree with Greg but I did go over the line there.e

      Delete
    3. REMOVE THIS COMMENT NOW! You're violating the blog rules!

      Delete
    4. I would, but I don't know how you remove anonymous comments yourself.

      Delete
  5. And no problem with 3. Totally good reason

    ReplyDelete