The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Twelve Years A Slave


I actually watched this about eight days ago, and I wasn't quite sure how to review it. "Twelve Years A Slave" is a terrific movie, but it is also a very hard movie to watch. It's not necessarily watching the lashings, or the beatings because you know they're coming. It's the same thing that made "Schindler's List" so difficult, the very notion that one human being can do this to another. This isn't like watching Loki's army of Chitauri rampage through midtown Manhattan, or Shelob sting and web up Frodo; everything depicted in "Twelve Years A Slave" actually took place. Chiwetel Ejiofor plays Solomon Northup, a free man from Saratoga Springs, NY, who is kidnapped and sold into slavery down in Louisiana, renamed "Platt", and the film adapts his book as he tries to just survive.

I apologize for the brevity of this review, but as I've already said, this is a hard movie to review. All I can say is that it is excellent. Everyone involved turns in great performances, particularly Benedict Cumberbatch, Michael Fassbender, and Chiwetel Ejiofor. If you get a chance to see it, please go.

2 comments:

  1. So a title like "Twelve Years A Slave" can't even prepare one for the brutality of the story they're going to see? Oh dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been hearing about this movie for a while from a few of my friends. I'll see if my college town will have it available a couple of weeks from now since my availability will be bad this and next week .

    ReplyDelete