The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Rain of the Ghosts


I wish I could say that I pre-ordered this book from amazon.com, but I didn't. And for that I'm sorry, I'm really, really sorry. But I'm flat broke these days. But I had every intention of buying it anyway, and when I saw it put out on the shelf a day early in my local Barnes & Noble, I snatched it up fast and ran to the register. I read the first half of it last night, stopping at about 4am, and then just finished it about an hour ago.

"Rain of the Ghosts" is a fun romp through the Prospero Keys, a fictional chain of islands located near the Bermuda Triangle. The book serves as a two-hundred page introduction to what becomes a well thought-out world populated with a large cast of characters (each with their own distinctive voices). I also counted at least six heavy references to Shakespeare's works, particularly "The Tempest". In other words, it feels very much like a pilot to a Greg Weisman-helmed animated series; and I mean that as a positive. But while Gargoyles' "Awakening" could function as a nice stand-alone movie, "Rain of the Ghosts" operates more like Spectacular Spider-Man's "Survival of the Fittest" or Young Justice's "Independence Day": the immediate situation has been dealt with, but more questions are presented which will lead us into the second book, "Spirits of Ash and Foam" and hopefully beyond.

Rain Cacique serves as a strong protagonist. She's smart, tough, sarcastic, but still vulnerable and still a thirteen-year-old girl. Her best friend, Charlie, is someone I think every one will easily be able to relate to... yep, I felt that way at thirteen. Rain's grandfather, 'Bastian, is the grandfather you wish you had... very wonderfully human. Other characters pop up, many of whom while not important to this first novel will doubtless be developed later, as this is the first in a nine book series... already some are intriguing mysteries. I especially look forward to learning more about the villains in this series we've only gotten the barest glimpses of; Weisman's villains are always delicious.

The third person narration took a little bit of time for me to get used to, mostly because I kept on wondering just who was chronicling this for us; and at the same time,the point of views often change between paragraphs so we can get into the heads of other characters where appropriate. As with his TV shows, Weisman doesn't talk down to his reader and trusts them enough to trust him, leading to a neat reveal.

I had fun reading it, and it left me with a need to begin the second novel. Can't ask for more than that.

13 comments:

  1. Wait...Greg Weisman wrote a book?
    *Adds this to the must read list!*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's hoping they get a good movie franchise based on them like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. knowing weisman's curse probably not

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are no such things as curses.

      Delete
    2. it was a joke. Yeah its an old one and a lame ass one, but I couldn't help it.

      Delete
  4. I'll get my copy soon. I think your review is good. No spoilers, but informative. It would look good on Amazon, because the book doesn't have any customer reviews yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion, posted it this morning.

      Delete
  5. Oops...if you have to purchase the book from Amazon to write a review for the page, then disregard my earlier comment..but it's a good review

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know Weisman wrote a book recently. I'll check it out, it sounds I can get into it.

    And if I may ask, what are the chances of this getting a movie adaptation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "And if I may ask, what are the chances of this getting a movie adaptation?"

      ................... why are you asking me this?

      Delete
    2. Just curious if you think it's possible. I mean, I'm pretty sure there's some producer out there who wants it to make money as a film adaptation. I mean, The Hunger Games is hot, Divergent's coming out next year; this sounds like it fits the criteria of what studios want.

      Delete
    3. No, it is impossible. Books never get adapted into movies, ever.

      /sarcasm

      Delete
    4. That's what I thought. Anyway, I like the premise, Rain sounds like a character I find myself enjoying along with the villains. So, what the hell; I'm getting this.

      Delete