The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Friday, May 9, 2014

TV Talk



Season four of "Game of Thrones" is proceeding quite nicely. I may wonder about the pacing, but it always keeps me glued to my seat. The aftermath of Joffrey's death has been wonderful to watch, and I eagerly anticipate Tyrion's trial for regicide.

More to the point, Littlefinger has turned out to be such a magnificent bastard, I take so much joy in watching him. While I had my theories, I admit that I didn't see him as potentially the true Big Bad of the series coming; especially with Charles Dance as Tywin Lannister being everything a decent Big Bad needs to be.

Another eye opening revelation is that the Lannisters are bankrupt. Their last gold mine went dry three years prior and they spent everything they had to win the War of the Five Kings. Cersei might say that Tyrion set the Lannister legacy on fire, but Joffrey did it the moment he beheaded Ned Stark. Robb Stark was coming for the Lannisters' heads... he wasn't going to sue for peace and said as much. I'm not defending the Red Wedding, but if Tywin couldn't sustain a war effort, I see why he arranged that massacre. It also tires back with what Varys said "power resides where men believe it resides. It's all a trick." The Lannisters are the richest and most powerful family in the Seven Kingdoms only because it's an image they project.

Littlefinger now, he's married to Lysa Arryn who kept the Vale out of the war, so he might just have the strongest army in the Seven Kingdoms. He bankrupted the realm while serving as Master of Coin, and who knows how much of that he laundered into his own businesses... he might be the richest, most powerful man in all of Westeros and nobody knows it.

"Game of Thrones" continues to be the best show on television. I look forward to it every week, and I plan to write a blog post about the season as a whole once it's over. I can't believe we're already halfway through.

Well played, George R.R. Martin. Well played everybody.

In other news, ABC just greenlit "Agent Carter" starring Hayley Atwell as Agent Peggy Carter in the early days of SHIELD. I love the character and Hayley's portrayal of her, and I really enjoyed the short they released on the Blu-ray of "Iron Man 3" so I look forward to this with... a lot of trepidation. Why? Because I loved Agent Phil Coulson and Clark Gregg in the role and I looked forward to "Agents of SHIELD" without any trepidation and what we received was the most vile, repulsive television series I have ever had the misfortune of watching.

On that previous note, "The Adventures of Mary Sue Poots: The Most Wonderful Specialest Snowflake Ever & We're All Just So Blessed To Be In Her Presence That We Totally Love Her" got renewed despite the mediocre ratings. Another example of American pop culture rewarding shit.

Swinging back to "Agent Carter", I really hope this one doesn't suck. But, this is Marvel Television under the direction of Jeph Loeb. Jeph Loeb who brought us "Ultimate Spider-Man", "Hulk: Agents of SMASH", "Avengers Assemble" and "The Adventures of Mary Sue Poots: The Most Wonderful Specialest Snowflake Ever & We're All Just So Blessed To Be In Her Presence That We Totally Love Her". The tagline for Jeph Loeb's tenure should be "The Most Vile, Repulsive Television You've Ever Seen".

1 comment:

  1. I have faith in a Peggy Carter show. Maybe Jeph Loeb won't touch that one much. Besides, the character should still be interesting regardless, right? Even in that one scene in The Winter Soldier, it was cool seeing her again.

    ReplyDelete