The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

I won't watch that, it's live-action!

Growing up as a fan of various animated TV shows, I would often have people look down their noses at it because it was animated. "Oi, why should I watch a cartoon. Cartoons are for kids", and I always, always believed those people were being closed-minded and missing out on some damn good television.

Now, as a thirty-three year-old man, I am finding the same attitude from some animation fans towards live action. They won't watch a show because it's live action, just aren't interested. Which is their prerogative, but they are closing themselves off to some damn fine television. But what gets me is this, I know they've heard similar about animation while growing up, and one would think they would learn to not be so closed-minded.

Then I ask myself if I've become anti-animation. I do not think so, there just doesn't happen to be any animated shows currently on the air that appeal to me, aside from waiting for the sixth season of "The Venture Bros." I hated "Legend of Korra", was kinda lukewarm towards "Star Wars Rebels", and I think Marvel's current animation output is atrocious. I still don't understand "Adventure Time", nor do I care about "Gravity Falls". I'm sure another animated series that I care about will come along eventually, but aside from "The Venture Bros.", it just doesn't exist at this moment in time.

Meanwhile, I think "Better Call Saul" is turning out to be a masterpiece. I really enjoyed the third season of "House of Cards", I was very pleasantly surprised by "Agent Carter" and "Arrow". I await the fifth season of "Game of Thrones" with breathless anticipation, and I look forward to the Netflix "Daredevil" series. But gods knows there's a lot of crap on live action. My feelings for a certain show airing on ABC are a matter of public record now, and I thought "Gotham" turned out to be crap.

What's next for animation? There's really nothing in the pipe I'm looking forward to, except for when Greg Weisman's next series is announced. Aside from that, the number of shows that appeal to me are practically zero. Meanwhile I've recently re-visited "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes", "Young Justice", "Avatar: The Last Airbender", and I re-visit "Spectacular Spider-Man" constantly for my podcast; and I'm planning a "Gargoyles" re-watch soon as well as one for "Batman: The Animated Series" and "Transformers Animated". All shows I really enjoyed and still enjoy.

I love animated shows and I love live action shows. I do not believe one medium is inherently superior to the other, but at the end of the day, mediums aside, "Breaking Bad" is superior to "Transformers" and "My Little Pony". It just is.

10 comments:

  1. I've tried for a good balance of both forms since I feel neither animation or live action is superior or inferior to each other and any show, period, could have numbers of issues that keep them from holding my interest for long.

    On the animation front, "Venture Bros" is great as ever, "Star Wars Rebels" was solid and enjoyable, I found Books 3 and 4 of "Legend of Korra" to be what the previous two books should have been but weren't, and I've got hooked on "Gravity Falls." But "Transformers" and "My Little Pony" ought to die already, and I don't even know what "Adventure Time" is doing anymore.

    On live action, all those shows you mentioned as good are good, but that certain show is still shit, "Gotham" has indeed been a big letdown (it's a Batman based show without the overexposed Batman actually in it- how did they screw that up?), and shows like "Supernatural" or "Once Upon A Time" have shot way downhill, Crowley and Rumpelstiltskin aside. On the flipside, "Elementary" has been really good thus far, and the current season is easily better than the previous one, though not quite up to par with the first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the only shows I currently enjoy in live-action are "Better Call Saul", "The Flash", and "Agent Carter", and the last one's future is uncertain. Season three of "Arrow" has been a letdown, "Gotham" is uneven crap, and I stopped caring about "Supernatural". I've been meaning to get into "House of Cards" and I eagerly await "Game of Thrones" and "Daredevil".

    Animation-wise, "Gravity Falls" and "Steven Universe" have been terrific lately. "Star Wars Rebels" was fine, but I thought it held itself back in certain areas. "Over the Garden Wall" was great, but it is only a mini-series. Beyond that, nothing has been able to fill in the hole left by the three DC Nation shows that were killed by Cartoon Network.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In terms of animation, I do recommend Steven Universe. I'm pretty sure you noticed that show exploded on twitter last week as if it were the latest season of Game of Thrones and for good reason. The show has a huge mythology but it can also be funny and has a lot of humanity to it. But it's also not afraid to go dark.

    Given last week, there was an alien invasion and plenty of collateral damage. They followed up on the aftermath too. Perhaps you might get into it than Adventure Time. And before you say, it doesn't look good because of the designs, let me remind you that you did watch W.I.T.C.H. anyway given Greg Weisman worked on the second season.

    Never judge a book by its cover and all, really. In terms of live action shows. Besides Breaking Bad and Doctor Who, I've been enjoying Hannibal, Agent Carter (yes even Agents of SHIELD as I'm curious where that's going), Better Call Saul and Broad City. Even Fresh Off The Boat and I intend on watching iZombie tonight (I'm lucky there's reruns).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *(yes even Agents of SHIELD as I'm curious where that's going)*

      HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!

      Oh wait, you're serious. Don't you have anything better to do? Like place a big pot over your head, and bang smaller pots against it? I guarantee you that you'll both learn more and be more entertained.

      Delete
    2. Says the guy who pointlessly cares about the Razzies. Because yeah, that's a mature response.

      Delete
    3. The Razzies are entertaining. Agents of SHIT is retarded. I have gone to and have sat in on many auditions in my theater days, and Chloe Bennet ain't getting gigs without sucking a lot of cock. Trust me on this one.

      Greg why do you keep approving this little prick's comments? He's not very bright. His first comment in this thread isn't even coherent.
      - Nadine

      Delete
    4. Nadine, that's more than a little uncalled for. But, yeah, it is hard to take someone's opinion seriously when they've gone on record as hating "The Godfather' but continuously defend Michael Bay and "Special Snowflake and the SHIT Squad"

      Still, tone it down a bit.

      Delete
    5. In my defense, I change my mind about The Godfather. Besides, I kind of said that under the impression it'd make an individual. Not the brightest move.

      And really, who says I can't like Breaking Bad and even Agents of SHIELD the same. Hell, Paul Thomas Anderson actually likes a few of the Cheech and Chong films and cast Adam Sandler in Punch Drunk Love, does that make the guy an idiot?

      Delete
    6. @Movie-Brat: I would argue that while it's fine to enjoy something that's bad, there's a line between liking it and trying to justify it's poor performance.

      Delete
  4. Unless if it's problematic like the Batgirl in which case something like that is a different story altogether.

    ReplyDelete