The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Where I've Been

I have a new job that involves a lot of over time. Sadly it means less time is being devoted to this blog. But I'm not abandoning the blog all together, I will have some content coming up. Another retro-review is in the works, and I am timing the release of it to coincide with the premiere of "X-Men: Apocalypse"... and that's the only hint you get (admittedly, it's a pretty large hint).

So what are my thoughts and musings about recent pop culture?

1. I loved "Deadpool". I saw it opening weekend, haven't had the time to go see it again but I want to. It's definitely a must-buy for my Blu-ray collection.

2. Season eleven of "Supernatural" has been on fire. I'm not sure what happened, if there was a shake up behind-the-scenes, or what. But it's been the shot in the arm that this show has needed for years. It's easily the best season since the fifth.

3. Downton Abbey had a good ending, but not great. I'm not entirely sure what I expected, but not everybody should have gotten a happy ending. Things just seemed to work themselves out.

4. This year's Oscars were very boring. I didn't have a horse in the race. We all knew DiCaprio was going to get his pity Oscar so he wouldn't have to play a role where he literally kills himself to win. But he should have gotten one years ago for his role in "Django Unchained". Not for this. I'm glad "Mad Max: Fury Road" cleaned up at the technical awards. But the highlight of the evening was Morricone finally winning an Oscar... screw Leo, Morricone deserved one forty years ago.

5. "Better Call Saul" continues to be the best thing on television. Season two is, so far, everything I hoped for even when I didn't know exactly what I was hoping for. Some of TV's best acting, and definitely TV's best cinematography. This has to be the most talented team working on television, and everyone should be watching this.

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new job.

    What exactly will you be doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norman Osborn gave him a second chance. ;)

      Delete
  2. I loved Deadpool as well. The opening credits and stinger at the end were nice touches. Good luck with the new job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you been watching the new season of Venture Bros.? What do you think about it so far?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you have another review coming up. You're last couple were better than some NC episodes.


    1. Knew you'd love the movie. It had everything it needed to please old fans and draw new ones.


    2. Still on Season 2. When I catch up to other shows I'm behind on, I'll watch more on Netflix. Nice to hear Supernatural has gotten really good again recently, gives me another reason to catch up.


    3. Haven't seen it, but I've heard good things. I'll try to watch it in the future.


    4. I was ecstatic Leo won, and Chris had some great zingers. Other than that the Oscars weren't much to write home about.


    5. Season 2 is even better so far. The last episode in particular was tremendous. I'm enjoying seeing Mike and Jimmy at their best before they become what they are in Breaking Bad. Really enjoy how much more loveable Jimmy is compared to Walter.


    Congratulations on your new job! Hope it works out for you!



    -Peanut

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had an interesting February in regards to films so to speak. Two really good films (though I stupidly missed Hail, Caesar).

    Deadpool and The Witch. The Witch I really liked better than I would. It's no ordinary Horror film for sure. No jump scares, it's mood and atmosphere along with stellar acting. I can tell you Anya Taylor-Joy is going to be going places years to come in her career.

    I do recommend it to you especially and I imagine from a superficial perspective, it has two actors from Game of Thrones as among the leads; Ralph Ineson and Kate Dickie. They were really good as well. Though funny enough, Ineson reminded me of Alan Rickman.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forgot to mention, congrats on your job and Better Call Saul has getting better and better for sure.

    ReplyDelete