The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

I'd be for it...




That's Mark Waid, Superman's biggest fan.

I'd take this even further:

You know what would have been something? If they were being really ballsy, when DC did the new 52, they would have made the Kents immigrants from Iran or Lebanon, make Kent short for something quite long. I think Clark could pass as a Lebanese immigrant with his black hair so it wouldn't really affect how he looked but in a snap it would affect how people viewed him. Does the world's greatest hero really need to be a WASP? He can still stand for Truth, Justice, and the American Way while being a practicing Muslim. If anything it would represent the best of America, the melting pot, where anyone regardless of your race, background, or creed can be anything.

Plus, it would make the awful supervillain, Captain Combover, take to his twitter while sitting on his golden toilet at 3am. And anything that makes Captain Combover's head expode is a good thing.

On another note. Yes, I saw Dr. Strange. Yes, I liked it. But I've been less compelled to blog as of late. What's going on in our country and the world stage has me a little bit more concerned.

7 comments:

  1. Or they could have him be Jewish instead of Methodist. People always say that Superman represents a member of the Jewish disapora, or possibly Moses himself. I've never bought the Moses comparison, as Superman doesn't return to Krypton to save his people, but I can see what Siegel and Schuster were going for in a pre-Israel world. There are a lot of ways you could take it if you want to try something different, but it's pretty clear the Big Two comics companies don't. Marvel's done some experimenting lately, but by and large they are stuck in their Gold and Silver Age status quo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think making him a Muslim would be more powerful. Especially now.

      Delete
    2. Yep, I agree. Just brainstorming.

      Delete
  2. Are you going to be doing any blogging on Trump or the election? Good place to rant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eventually. I had two posts already that I've removed for private reasons. But in a few months... all bets are off.

      Delete
    2. Be prepared, though - "all bets are off" will go for the responses you might get too.

      Delete
  3. Captain Combover! XD Love it! We can ditch Lex Luthor and make him the bad guy instead, though I'm not sure he'd be arch enemy worthy...

    ReplyDelete