The Life & Times of an Auteur.

Commentary on Pop Culture, and maybe creating some of my own.

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

A retraction...

I'm not retracting an opinion or even an idea. What I am retracting is a nickname. Chloe Bennet's character on "Agents of SHIELD"... Daisy aka Mary Sue aka Quake aka Skye, etc. As most readers of this blog noted, I would refer to her as Special Snowflake. Right now, I am retracting and apologizing for that.

I am blissfully ignorant of a lot of buzzwords and code-words that MRAs, GamerGaters, the "alt right" or... let's be honest and call them fucking Neo Nazis... use. "Special Snowflakes" is an insult they love to toss around, alongside "cuck" and other hateful language to denigrate their targets.

So, on that note, I am issuing a formal apology for the use of that term. I do not want anyone to think that I hold views that are anywhere near in line with these degenerates. I condemn them; they are animals.

Don't get me wrong, I still think the show and the character are crap. But, in the event that I ever bring it up again (though that's not too likely, I've more than said my piece), I will not be using that hateful slur.

I plead ignorance, but make no excuses. Hold my feet to the fire should I ever espouse any of their hateful terminology whether purposely or accidental.

Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. Buzzwords have been used so often they barely have a meaning anymore. For instance, a lot of the people who claim to be against "political correctness" "safe spaces" and "trigger warnings" often seem to be pretty easily offended themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I am blissfully ignorant of a lot of buzzwords and code-words that MRAs, GamerGaters, the "alt right" or... let's be honest and call them fucking Neo Nazis... use."

    I'm blissfully unaware of what "GamerGaters" even are. I don't know what started GamerGate and what it was for, but it seems to have lost all meaning nowadays.

    ReplyDelete